Tutor
3 2 0 5
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 usb-c port issue

Spectre x360 13-w0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I think the usb-c ports on my Spectre x360 convertible laptop are faulty. I just bought the computer at Best Buy in late Dec. 2016. 

The reasons I think this may be true are:

• Whenever I move the laptop while the usb-c is plugged in to an external monitor, the monitor temporarily disconnects, even though the movement may be slight.
  • A couple of times per week, I will find that the laptop did not charge overnight, even though the charger was plugged in. The computer will begin charging once I unplug and replug the power cord.
  • I have had great difficulty connecting to an external monitor, which works fine with other computers. I have tried multiple usb-c converters (one for hdmi, one for displayport, and now, a universal hub that connects power, hdmi, and usb in one place). I have also tried different hdmi and displayport cables, so the problem is not with the connectors or the cables. The monitor cuts out frequently (when the computer is moved, but also when it is not being touched).  Many times, I will plug the hdmi or displayport cable in to the computer, and the monitor simply does not receive a signal. 

If anyone else has experienced similar issues or may help me figure out how to fix these issues, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18,065 17,589 1,281 1,918
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @tayz0r, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand when you move your laptop with USB-C plugged in to an external monitor the monitor gets temporarily disconnected.

I understand your concern. Don't worry I'd like to help.

Kudos to you for trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

As you mentioned you have tried different converters and cables and the issue still persists.

Please try updating graphics driver and BIOS on your PC and if the issue persists.

Download and install HP support assistant on your PC, This will install the latest and best drivers for your PC.

Refer this article to know how to use HP support assistant.

Take care,            

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
AidenM Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am also having a similar problem I bought my spectre 6 days ago and I went to plug in my charger and the computer wont charge, but i plugged it in the other USB-C port and the computer is charging     there are no updates for me to install so what should i do

tayz0r Tutor
Tutor
3 2 0 5
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Call HP customer service and ask to send in your laptop for repair. They will replace the ports. 

Heritagebod Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, 

I'm struggling to make my monitor work with my new Spectre x360. Having tried on adapter (HDMI to USB-C) I sent it back as the screen would not connect. I now have the HP adapter which confirmed would work but when I use it the screen cuts out (goes blank) and then returns every 10 seconds of so.  

The port seems okay when I plug the power cable in so i'm not sure it's the port itself and the adapter is brand new. The HDMI cable from the monitor has had no problems with my previous HP Spector. 

I've installed all updates and drivers etc.  Can't think what else to do! 

Any suggestions most welcome! 

tayz0r Tutor
Tutor
3 2 0 5
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sounds to me like a port issue which HP should repair if you send in your laptop. The port could have video problems and not power problems. Only other thing i can think to do would be to try another HDMI cable and another monitor (or another computer on your current monitor).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation