Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

The real problem here is that the SSD cannot be booted so it does the OP very little benefit. 

Which still begs the question, why? If this notebook cannot boot from the optical drive (or SSD connected to that interface) it seems to me HP made some proprietary change to the firmware. 😞

HP Recommended

HP wrote the firmware Code so every line of it is 100% "proprietary". This also happens in other laptops made by Lenovo, Toshiba, etc. by the way. Why would HP write the BIOS Code to allow booting from a device not offered on their machine? It could be written to allow booting from a HDD or SSD in the optical bay but they are under no obligation to write it that way. My task here is to tell people what is actually possible on the ground not speculate about what could be in some alternate world. More useful that way. Nuff said.

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

HP wrote the firmware Code so every line of it is 100% "proprietary". This also happens in other laptops made by Lenovo, Toshiba, etc. by the way. Why would HP write the BIOS Code to allow booting from a device not offered on their machine?

Maybe to comply with industry standards? Or to be customer friendly? I agree this is common practice among all notebook makers. And many do the same with their PCs. Just another reason I always build my own and keep pushing for an ATX Form Factor type standard for notebooks. But of course, we will never see that. 😞

Proprietary is NEVER good for the consumer. 😞

HP Recommended

Hi all, I’ve setup a few of these, some BIOS allow boot and some do not, if it doesn’t it’s not the end of the world because you can set you existing drive to boot BUT install the OS onto the other drive... I’ve actually had an old Non HP (sorry HP forum I know but it’s relevant) that refused to boot to the existing HD and just wanted to boot to the dvd caddy which was a bit annoying - one thing I can confirm is that drives in the caddy tend to run slower AND this is more noticeable if it’s an SSD - I have no idea why but there it is.

HP Recommended

Hii dear i don't what officals have to say but I will just be on point no flashy stuff.

1.A SSD  is far more better than a HDD not due to no moving parts but also due to high transfer speeds so even when you replace it with 5200 rpm your laptop is not utilizing it on full.

2. If you use a caddy it should be very efficient  for transfer speeds so you will be able to get speeds what originally your port can provide.

3.Now main thing SATA1 port which is used for powering CD drives has merely lower speeds than SATA3.

4.So it is better you open your laptop put SSD into main SATA3 and replace your 5200 rpm into that caddy.

I hope you will get better performance with laptop after this incision.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.