Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
No roodm to boot
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop has no room for a second hard drive so can I make a second partition on my SSD drive just for windows so that I can boot off of it as I want a faster boot up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No there is no basis for that belief. As long as the drive is less than say 90% full it will be fine. SSDs are not as sensitive to being filled up as mechanical hard drives, they index and locate data completely differently than a spinner drive and that's why you never defrag an SSD...no need and wears it out prematurely. If you split it into 2 partitions you have to keep both partitions less than 90% full which means you actually lose useable space. 

Is your SSD not booting up fast? 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

What model is this? You would not gain any space by making a partition on a drive you aleady have so I am not understanding what you want to accomplish. 

HP Recommended

The Laptop is a Pavillion 15-au062 and want to split of the SSD drive so that I can store my Data on one partition and boot off of the other wich would make the SSD boot up fast like it should other wise if I only had one SSD drive the drive it would make a slower boot with the DDS being all cluttered  up with Data.

HP Recommended

No there is no basis for that belief. As long as the drive is less than say 90% full it will be fine. SSDs are not as sensitive to being filled up as mechanical hard drives, they index and locate data completely differently than a spinner drive and that's why you never defrag an SSD...no need and wears it out prematurely. If you split it into 2 partitions you have to keep both partitions less than 90% full which means you actually lose useable space. 

Is your SSD not booting up fast? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.