Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 2 (108 Views)

Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP Pavilion dm4
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am using HP Pavilion dm4 Notebook with Windows 10 Home Edition installed.
HD: TOSHIBA MK6465GSX [Hard drive] (640.13 GB)

Recently my laptop started to reboot frequently with some error, overheating and DISK usage always 100%...

I have tried to format the hard drive and tried to re-install it with Windows 10 boot-up disk.

But it is not responding even for the F11 - System recovery option to format it.

I have then tried to run the HP - System Diagonistics with running the "Start-up Test" first.

The result is as below:

Start-up Test:

Memory Test: PASSED
SMART Check: PASSED
Short DST: FAILED

FAILURE ID
U4L1X3-56C86C-XD6U3G-60SF03
PRODUCT ID
XG192PA#AB4

Hard Disk 1
------------------

As it looks like Hard Disk issue, I ran the "Hard-Disk Test", but Hard-disk test shows all are PASSED.

It is confusing whether it is really Hard drive issue?
Do I need to replace the Hard drive?
If so, can I go for any hard drive or only Toshiba? any issue in using other HD will have any issue with my mother board?

Please advise.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 2 (84 Views)

Re: Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED

Hi,

Sadly to say: Most of the time the 24 char failure id indicates the HDD is failing and need to be replaced. Is it still under warranry ? If Yes, please call HP for a replacement.

In the US:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

or HP technical support: 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/w1/en/contact_us.html

Basically any standard HDD can do the job but it is much better to use same brand to avoid compatible, if any.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation