Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 17T-K200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently, I disconnected the AC power supply to be able to work elsewhere in the house.  When I reconnected the AC power supply and left the computer on the computer had gone into a hybernate mode.  It did awaken and I could continue until the task was finished.  Again I left the computer on.  When I returned the screen was dark and I assumed that it had reverted to the hybernate mode.  However it would not resume.  I checked the socket on the computer for the light which would indicate that power is being fed to the computer.  It was DARK.  Since the power supply is plugged into a power strip, I checked to make sure the strip was on.  The indicator light remained DARK.  I plugged to power supply into a known live outlet.  The indicator light remained DARK.  Using a volt meter, I found that the AC outlet was good and the output at the DC end of the power supply showed 19.88 volts DC.  At this point I assumed that the Power Jack Cable Harness had broken somehow.

Searching the internet, HP support, and HP forum pages revealed no clear solution.  I left a message on "

on 6-20-16 but have had no reply at this time except to offer a phone conversation.

Since then, I needed to have access to the information on the hard drive.  Removing the hard drive meant that the top of the computer had to be removed.  This gave access to the "Power Jack Cable Harness" and inspection of that connection end of the harness seemed to be OK.  Visual inspection of the components gave no clear indication of overheating or other problem.

I am at the limit of what I can see and need help.

The computer, is an HP Envy 17T-K200 - 17.3 in Laptop.  The CPUis Intel i7-4720HQ.  The Hard drive is 1 TB.  With 12 GB RAM.  The SN is 6CF518162Z.  The machine is refurbished and is out of warranty as of Feb 16, 2016.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Apparently after running tests on my computer the finding stongly implicates a failed motherboard.  Attempts to locate a source of part number 793272-601 (preferred) or part number 793272-501 have failed.  Therefore it appears that I will be compeled to use HP Repair service at significant cost.  The good is that it will have a "huge" 90 day warranty.

Thank you to Huffer for the suggestions he made.  

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Well, assuming the AC adapter is good (which appears to be the case) then it is either the power jack harness or the motherboard itself. I am a bit confused how the light on the AC adapter brick stays dark when the output is testing OK. I assume you have removed the battery and tried to hold down the "on" button 30 seconds. There are lots of power-related daughterboards like the power button board and it is so hard to test them. Do you have the Manual:

Service Manual

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response,

The light that I refer to is not on the AC adapter brick.  It is on the side of the computer and seems to be a part of the Power Jack Harness.  Until a couple of days ago, when the issue exploded, that light would show "white" when charging was complete and "orange" when charging was happening.  The AC adaptor brick has no light associated with it at all.  I do have a manual.  When you suggest removing the battery and then holding the "on" button, I have not tried that.  

As I indicated in my post, I have removed the hard drive and left the top loose.  I am going to put the hard drive back in and check out what you suggest.  Then I will still have access to the Power Jack Harness whichI did lift out of its slot and looked at it.  It did not appear damaged.

HP Recommended

I linked you to download the Manual at the bottom of my post

HP Recommended

OK I did download the manual that you referenced with your link.  Now can you give me information about what I should be looking for in that manual?  Yesterday, I did speak to a person at the end of a phone connection which was left following both the post here and the post on another thread.  That individual suggested taking the battery and AC power supply someplace to be certain that they are, in fact, working correctly.  I intend to do that and to complete the suggestion that you made in your response to my post.  I appreciate any and all suggestions.

HP Recommended

Not sure where to take the battery to see if it is working. Maybe a Batteries Plus? Let's try these things before suggesting anything else.

HP Recommended

Just to update what has happened.  I have attempted to start the computer following suggestions with no success.  The top of the computer has been removed and visually examined for overheating with non found.  The Power in Cable connection has been examined and tested for secure attachment to the motherboard.  Following this there was no change in the behavior.  I am in contact with another individual who is currently doing some testing.  As of this time there has been no word from that individual.  I remain willing to entertain any and all suggestions about potential solutions.

HP Recommended

A further update on the issue with my HP Envy 17T-K200 laptop.  The suggestion has been provided by another person who has examined the computer, that the problem may be with the Motherboard.  Of course this is not good news.  What makes it even worse is that a search of HP parts store and their supplier comes back with none available.  I would be pleased to know if anyone knows how or where or if a Motherboard for this computer is available.  The part number according to HP parts store is either:

793272-601

or

793272-501

HP Recommended

Apparently after running tests on my computer the finding stongly implicates a failed motherboard.  Attempts to locate a source of part number 793272-601 (preferred) or part number 793272-501 have failed.  Therefore it appears that I will be compeled to use HP Repair service at significant cost.  The good is that it will have a "huge" 90 day warranty.

Thank you to Huffer for the suggestions he made.  

HP Recommended

We can find you a motherboard if that is the way you would rather go. Don't pay $300-400 to have it fixed. Post back if not too late. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.