Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x 360 - 15 - blO12dx convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

All of the sudden, My Laptop's battery charge Icon (at bottom right of screen) registered "Battery plugged in and Not charging".

I removed the Laptop bottom cover and then disconnected and reconnected the battery.  Then after start up, the Bottom right Icon registers "No Battery Detected".   I must then go into "Device Manager", select Batteries,  then right click on "Microsoft ACPI - Compliant Control Method Battery".  Then Select and choose "Uninstall Device".

This completely remove the Battery Icon fron the bottom right of my LapTop.   Then in the same "Device Manager" window, select "Action" at the top left of window.  Then select "Scan for hardware changes".    THIS brings back the recognition of a connected battery and the bottom right Battery Icon.  However, now the Battery charge Icon again reads, "Plugged In and Not Charging"!

So, I purchased a new exact replacement Battery and plugget it into my LapTop.  This battery did come with approximately 40% charge and DID run the computer fully without the charger attached until it ran out of power.   But, My Laptop never went into CHARGE MODE even with the new battery attached.   All registered exactly the same as noted above with the original battery?????????

Also, With Either Battery installed, At Start UP, This Window Temporarily Appears:

"HP Battery Alert

The system has detected the storage capacity of the battery stated below to be very low.  For optimal Performance, this battery may need to be replaced.

Primary (Internal) Battery  (601)

Enter - Continue Startup"

I have seen On-Line that this issue has become fairly common, but No answeres yet?   Please help as I can now ONLY use my Laptop when Plugged in.  I have a THIRD new replacement battery on the way, but I am convinced that it Aint a battery problem.

Lance A,

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@LanceA2

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns

I appreciate all your efforts and expertise in troubleshooting this issue

I suggest you update the BIOS from this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-bl000-x360-convertible-pc/13823372/mo...

Then run a Battery Diagnostic

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. 
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Power>Battery

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed your attached instructions to the letter, including updating the BIOS.  Unfortunately,  it still says (bottom right battery icon) "plugged in, not charging".  Or, it may not show the battery icon at all, as at this very moment.

Lance A. Akridge

HP Recommended

UPDADTE:

After following your above instructions, including "Updating the Bios",  then F-2 and "Battery Test".  Battery Check:  now says:

Primary- Replace (42)

FAILURE ID:  6AJQC- 8MA98D - MFPUQJ - COATO3

Product ID:  Z4Z35UA#ABA

Component Test:  FAILED

Lance A Akridge  

HP Recommended

@LanceA2

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm writing on behalf of my colleague @KrazyToad, as the tech is out for the day, that said, I have reviewed your concern and the entire conversation, did some research and here's what I recommend:

I'm afraid the failure ID you've mentioned is incomplete, please mention the complete ID so that I may have it deciphered,

That said, you can also refer to my private message with the complete failure ID and they should be able to replace or repair the appropriate part to resolve the issue:

That said, please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, using the blue envelope: 

Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums

I hope your day gets better, good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. 

My HP Spectre battery swelled so much the whole laptop was deformed and pushing the mousepad and keyboard out. Its a 2017 Spectre x360 15t.  However, the battery was still detected and charging fine.

The battery was replaced with identical model "KB06XL". 

After replacing the battery, the laptop now says "no battery detected".  It turns on fine when its plugged in. 

Went into BIOS, ran the component check, and Battery Check says "NOT INSTALLED".  

Also tried uninstalling battery drivers and restarting and still same issue. Just shows a battery icon with an X in the middle. 

HP Recommended

@Dino_87

You can try updating the BIOS from this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-bl000-x360-convertible-pc/13823372/mo...

If the issue persists please contact HP Support for Service Options

Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did the person above ever get the problem fixed without having to send it in?

HP Recommended

I recently encountered this issue with my HP Spectre x360 - 15.  I ordered a replacement battery online because my original battery would no longer hold a charge.  My first attempt at installing the battery was sort of successful. The laptop would only turn on when plugged in, but I could remove the power adapter and it would operate normally, with the exception of the "battery not present" message.  I took a closer look at the new battery verses the original battery.  The plug for the original battery had the gold pieces facing toward you when plugged in, but when the new battery arrived, the plug was oriented in such a manner where the gold pieces of the plug where facing down (towards the back of the computer).  I had the plug in upside down because the new battery manufacturer had it oriented that way.  If you plug in the new battery with the gold pieces on the plug facing you, the battery will connect properly. After re-connecting it properly, once I turned on the computer, it was showing the battery life of the new battery as it had previously with the factory installed battery. Updating the BIOS and all of the other suggestions made were unnecessary to remedy this problem.  

HP Recommended

Face the same problem today. My suggestion is to check the battery pins. The battery in my Spectre 13 have 10 pins, but only 8 pins are use. The two pins at the left side of the battery should be remain UNTOUCHED (they should be left outside the battery connector). If touched, the system will behave just like what you have experienced.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.