Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 19 (212 Views)

Switchable Graphics HP Pavilion dv6 4023tx

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP dv6 4023TX
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

So ive just brought a HP dv6 4023tx back to life and would like to use it as a school laptop. with the AMD graphics running constantly the battery isnt the best ive seen. im seeing if we would be able to change it to run off the intel hd 3000 that is built into the i7 2630qm. ive seen older laptops than this with switchable graphics and i have seen newer so im going off the assumption this has support for it (otherise why would the intel hd driver be on the HP website). Thank you for your time.

I have also found this in a number of forums and websites concerning the hd 3000 and hd6570.

"AMD RadeonTM HD 6500M Series simplify your life at work and at play with its dynamic graphics switching technology. It switches seamlessly between power saving integrated graphics when on-the-road and high-powered discrete graphics when plugged in..."

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 19 (176 Views)

Re: Switchable Graphics HP Pavilion dv6 4023tx

[ Edited ]

The video card is switchable discrete. It is not possible to fully disable the AMD video and run entirely on the Intel HD3000

Tutor
Message 3 of 19 (173 Views)

Then why have this in the manual for the 4023tx 

"Switching between graphics modes

The computer is equipped with switchable graphics and has two modes for processing graphics. When switching from AC power to battery power, the computer switches from High-performance mode to Power-saving mode to conserve battery life. Similarly, when switching from battery power to AC power, the computer switches back to the High-performance mode. NOTE: In order to optimize computer performance, the system might not allow switching modes, or prompt you to switch modes. It might be necessary to close all programs before switching. NOTE: HDMI only works in the High-performance mode. HDMI cannot be used in Power-saving mode. When switching between AC and battery power, you are notified that the computer is about to switch graphics modes. If you prefer, choose to continue using the same graphics mode. While the computer switches modes, the screen goes blank for a few seconds. When the switch is complete, a notification appears in the notification area, and the screen image reappears. NOTE: When select computer models are in slate mode, the screen orientations are reset when switching between graphics modes. To determine which graphics mode you are using, right-click on the Windows desktop, and then click Configure Switchable Graphics."

Provost
Message 4 of 19 (170 Views)

[ Edited ]

I altered my answer. It is switchable discrete. But you cannot turn off the discrete part. This old tutorial might help.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03048374

What video driver did you install? Are you seeing the Intel video in the device manager at all?

Tutor
Message 5 of 19 (168 Views)

okay thats fiar enough.although i am still unable to swich or even see the hd3000 in the system. although wehn i use -lshw in ubuntu it shows 2 display adapters.

Provost
Message 6 of 19 (166 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm having a little trouble keeping up with you. Check my last post. Most of the inquiries we get on switchable graphics peopl want to turn off the Intel and run entirely on the discrete which you can't really do either. 

You have to use this driver:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp50501-51000/sp50641.exe

That one drive includes both Intel and AMD drivers and it has been a while but I seem to recall if you install an AMD Catalyst driver from AMD you will not get the Intel. 

Tutor
Message 7 of 19 (156 Views)

sorry about that theres a bit of a delay on my internet. no its not showing in device manager what so ever. even when i check "show hidden devices".  and i have tired that tutorial and no luck. and my point was  that the hd 3000 shows up in ubuntu. i have tried 3 differnt drivers aswell. both of the current drivers form amd (catalyst and crimson.) also if there is no way to ouright disable the gpu is there a way to increase battery life? becuase right now with an old and brand new battery i am nearly getting an hour out of both.

Tutor
Message 8 of 19 (153 Views)

also in the driver you linked there are a number of grahical glitches in many dx11 and 10 games/programs.

Provost
Message 9 of 19 (152 Views)

Again, I added to the post probably after you read it. You have to use the HP driver. If you use the Catalyst driver it will not activate the Intel part. 

Provost
Message 10 of 19 (150 Views)

This model series was the source of endless issues back when it was new I seem to recall. You might reload Windows 7 and try installing the Intel driver just to see if it picks up the HD 3000

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation