Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-ay538ur (Z4Z90EA)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good day. This problem has been bothering me for several weeks now. When the laptop reaches a certain percentage of charge, it turns off. This is not an ordinary shutdown, but rather an emergency shutdown. The laptop turns off at one point, making a slight click. The next time it is turned on, it can work from a few seconds to several minutes, after which it turns off again. By the way, when I turn on the laptop again after such a shutdown, the fan is very noisy for the first few seconds (this does not happen under normal circumstances, so I decided to indicate this point).

This problem (shutdown) only occurs when the laptop is running on battery power. Testing the battery with HP Support Assistant and HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (including UEFI) almost never detects an error. Only a few times did they reveal an error when I managed to start the test immediately after the shutdown (I can provide a 24-digit error code). Recently, the charge level at which the laptop turns off has begun to increase. If initially it was about 40%, now it is already 70%. I tried to calibrate the battery in manual mode, but I have never been able to carry it out to the end, because due to shutdowns of the laptop I can not completely discharge the battery. By the way, what do you think, can I try to discharge the battery by removing it from the laptop and leaving it for some time?

Please tell me, are there any other ways to solve this difficulty? It is advisable without resorting to replacing the battery with a new one.

I have also tried hard resetting and uninstalling the battery driver.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Anthony_Tat Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the laptop turns off when it reaches approximately 60% charge.

Have you tried to update the BIOS?

If you have not updated the BIOS, please update.

If the issue, still persists, you have to replace the battery. 

I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Anthony_Tat Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the laptop turns off when it reaches approximately 60% charge.

Have you tried to update the BIOS?

If you have not updated the BIOS, please update.

If the issue, still persists, you have to replace the battery. 

I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

According to the data from HP Support Assistant, I already have the current version of BIOS (F.48), but I reinstalled it anyway by clicking on your link and downloading the desired file. I'll see if this helps, and write here.

Also, I finally managed to completely discharge the battery (due to the fact that the laptop was constantly turned off, I had to do this in several passes) and carry out a calibration. After the calibration process, the laptop more accurately shows the percentage of battery wear and works much longer without shutdowns (if before it was turned off already at 70%, now it can work up to 50%). I will try a couple more times to carry out the calibration procedure. Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

@Anthony_Tat

As you have stated that when you perform the battery test. you have got the failure code.

I would suggest you contact our phone support and Tehy will help you.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.