Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cs3021ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys!
I have an HP Pavilion - 15-cs3021ur laptop.
I would like to increase the amount of RAM.
Now I have 8 GB of RAM, but I really miss that. I would like to have 16 or 32. Can you please tell me if my laptop supports more than 8 GB of RAM? And if it does, what type and frequency?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

In your post you have mentioned two totally different model numbers.

Below is the link to the Crucial memory report for a very similar model notebook to the 15-cs3021ur:

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | pavilion 15-cs series | Pavilion 15-cs3020ca | Crucial.com

According to the report, you can install as much as 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) of memory, so 2 x 16 GB should work fine.

Here are the specs to the above model and yours...

HP Pavilion - 15-cs3020ca Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

HP Pavilion - 15-cs3021ur Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

You would want to install DDR4-2666 MHz memory according to the HP specs, but DDR4-3200 would also be fine.

DDR4-3200 memory would automatically bridge to 2666 MHz.

Below is the link to the Crucial memory report for the 15-au027ur...It supports a max of 2 x 8 GB of memory.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | pavilion 15 series | Pavilion 15-au027ur | Crucial.com

The 15-au027ur uses DDR4-2400 memory and it will automatically bridge to 2133 MHz.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

In your post you have mentioned two totally different model numbers.

Below is the link to the Crucial memory report for a very similar model notebook to the 15-cs3021ur:

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | pavilion 15-cs series | Pavilion 15-cs3020ca | Crucial.com

According to the report, you can install as much as 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) of memory, so 2 x 16 GB should work fine.

Here are the specs to the above model and yours...

HP Pavilion - 15-cs3020ca Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

HP Pavilion - 15-cs3021ur Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

You would want to install DDR4-2666 MHz memory according to the HP specs, but DDR4-3200 would also be fine.

DDR4-3200 memory would automatically bridge to 2666 MHz.

Below is the link to the Crucial memory report for the 15-au027ur...It supports a max of 2 x 8 GB of memory.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | pavilion 15 series | Pavilion 15-au027ur | Crucial.com

The 15-au027ur uses DDR4-2400 memory and it will automatically bridge to 2133 MHz.

HP Recommended

Excuse me, there was a typo, I have an HP Pavilion laptop - 15-cs3021ur.

Many thanks! Your answer helped a lot!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Since you are such a nice and kind person, could you please help a little more)

Usually they always put 2 strips of RAM of the same size. But wouldn't it be a problem if I now have 8 GB and I put another 16 GB, so that in the end I have 24 GB.

HP Recommended

Sure.  I would be happy to give you more advice...

You are right...normally the best way to install memory is in matching capacities so that the memory runs in the higher performing dual channel mode.

Since your notebook's memory is already running in single channel mode, it won't hurt to install a 16 GB memory bar along with the 8 GB memory bar and have 24 GB of memory running in single channel mode.

I would definitely recommend that if someday you plan on upgrading the 8 GB memory bar to a 16 GB one.

Otherwise if you install an 8 GB memory bar now to get dual channel, and you want to upgrade again to 32 GB, then you would be wasting money.

I have also heard on some of these newer Intel notebooks, the memory runs in dual channel mode even with memory modules of different capacities.  So it is possible that yours may be one of them.  I just don't know.

I do want to share with you a screenshot of my PC that has 32 GB of memory installed.

You can see from the screenshot that I have about 24.5 GB of free memory out of the 32 GB, so maybe 16 GB is enough?

I'll leave that up to you to decide...

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1617723618322.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.