Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp laptop 15-da 1002ni
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. 

How do computer / laptop manufacturers decide which drivers go with which computers / laptops? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

question is not very clear.

a driver is a software able to tell the hadrware what to do.

Hardware without a driver is able to do nothing or almost nothing

every hardware needing a driver has what is called ID Hardware.  example VEN_8086&DEV_XXXX

when you install a driver on a OS , if in the file .inf  ( a file part of the  driver)  contains a string that match the Hardware ID, it means the driver is compatible with that hardware and loaded in the OS.

I don't know if I answered to your question.

bye

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello

question is not very clear.

a driver is a software able to tell the hadrware what to do.

Hardware without a driver is able to do nothing or almost nothing

every hardware needing a driver has what is called ID Hardware.  example VEN_8086&DEV_XXXX

when you install a driver on a OS , if in the file .inf  ( a file part of the  driver)  contains a string that match the Hardware ID, it means the driver is compatible with that hardware and loaded in the OS.

I don't know if I answered to your question.

bye

HP Recommended

Thank you. 

Your answer was perfect. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.