Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

As it says in the question, my touchpad makes a really loud clicking noise when I push down on the left side. It feels loose, so I have to push down and it clicks loudly, then I have to push further for it to actually select whatever it is I want to select. I want to know if I can fix this myself somehow, or if I'll have to send it in to be fixed.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @-Monica-,

I understand that the touchpad on your notebook computer makes a loud clicking noise on the left side, and I would be happy to assist you!

Since the sound is made when you push down on the left side of the touchpad, I recommend contacting our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

I hope this helps!

Regards 🙂 

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

You're lucky.  My HP 17 touchpad clicks loudly using both buttons, by design.  There is no fix.  It is in the touchpad "design".  No idea why this is considered a feature.  In quiet enviroments, like libraries, people have actually asked me to "stop doing that".  The only fix is to double tap the touchpad itself to select/move.  No noise but not easy to habituate.  The only loss is there is no silent option for the "right click" button.   It still clikcs loudly away.  You could send it in for repair, but HP will send one on which both buttons will click.  A few Dell models have the same design flaw.

HP Recommended

So I had the same problem. And if you are like me then your warranty is up and you do not have the money to send it in for a possible fix. Or your in schol like me as well and cant go without the computer for even a single class.

I was able to find a solution that is rather simple and a bit ghetto but it works. If you are comfortable taking the bottom off the computer and getting into the insides of the system all you would have to do is wedge a folded up peice of paper between the trackpad and the retention spring on the side that is doing the clicking.

Yes it did fix the annoying double click sound it was making but it also made clicking a bit firmer than before so its not as easy to press down but id much rather it be quiet.

I dont have any pictures because I didnt realize how common this problems was till after i fixed it and someone else told me they had the same issue.

HP Recommended
Hey guys is it the same problem with mine (is it normal with the hp or is there a fault with mine) basically when I click the left side of the touch pad it seems to go further down than the right side and make a louder noise as if I push the right side it seems alot smoother. I got 2 years warranty, should I use it till then (then change it) or change it now or not bother because they are all the same lol. Thanks in advance.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.