Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-ba113cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a laptop that the fan has always run on high and recently started shutting down due to overheating. I have replaced the fan and the motherboard and it still is shutting down. The only thing left is the heat sink but the one that is on the system is in mint condition. I have legitimately run it while in the freezer and/or the refrigerator to keep it cooler and it still shuts down. I am at a loss as to why this system will not run with the fan at normal speed or keep the CPU cool. There are no vents in the bottom of the system, just the output for the fan over the heat sink fins. I am curious if anyone has any ideas of what could be causing this system to keep overheating. I changed out the hard drive and reinstalled the OS and every time I get into the OS to try and mess with Processor Management or install new firmware patch it shuts down before I can get to it. Again, replaced MB, fan and disk. I am open to other options but am running out of ideas.

Thoughts????

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@ericrife

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I've reviewed your post and here's what you need to do:

· Check with an alternate power cord/adapter or another wall outlet, remove any surge protectors and connect directly to the wall outlet and check if that works. 

· Does the issue persists with the battery alone or even when the device is connected to the wall outlet? please verify. 

· Have you had any thunderstorms lately, before this issue occurred? 

· If yes, this could be a hardware malfunction that requires a repair. 

· If no, try the below steps: 

· The best way to resolve the issue is by using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: CLICK HERE FOR STEP BY STEP GUIDE.

· (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern). 

Click here for further assistance on issue with computer restarting/shutting down on its own.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.