Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - 15-dr1233ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I bought this Envy in early 2020, it has a 10th generation i7, mx250 4gb, and16gb of RAM.

I mainly use this laptop for school work and graphic design, and it's absolutely perfect. I spent extra for the mx250 so I can do a little bit of gaming as well (Not AAA titles, games like Minecraft, cs:go etc.)

The first time I had tried gaming, I had noticed a detrimental decrease in performance after a couple of minutes.  Minecraft went from 250 fps to under 40, and froze constantly, cs:go went from 150 fps in the highest settings to not being able to get 20 fps in the lobby.  

I have some knowledge of pcs, I've built 2 with my friends and I am familiar with the components. I updated all drivers, installed all system updates, cleared up any dust in the cooling fan, allowed the laptop to have a clear airflow, but nothing had changed with the performance issues.

After some research and digging around, I quickly linked the drop in performance to the increase in temperature of the GPU. I performed some stress tests after talking to HP customer support, and the GPU peaked at 90 degrees celsius. The test that I performed didn't monitor the performance, though. 

After having ignored the problem for a few months, the laptop that I used to game on broke, and I was forced to play on this one. But the problem was still there, after having installed updates again, buying an external laptop cooler etc.

(This video shows the GPU throttling, it was recorded 2 days ago.  (180) HP 15' Envy: Extreme Thermal Throttling (2020 Version, 10th gen i7, 4gb MX 250, 16gb DDR4 RAM)... )

I am not sure as of what to do. I have tried every single step on the HP virtual support agent, and customer support only makes me run hardware diagnostics, which always give out varying results.

Is this a hardware issue?

What can I do?

Thank you for reading through this, 

Jo

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.