Honor Student
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thunderbolt 3 Controller Firmware on HP Spectre 15

HP Spectre 15-bl075nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just recently purchased and received a HP Spectre 15-bl075nr.

I am trying to use a Thunderbolt DisplayPort adapter (Plugable model # TBT3-DP2X), but it requires the Thunderbolt Controller to have NVM Firmware version 14 or higher.

Unfortunately, this laptop only has NVM Firmware version 9.

What is the best way to for me to update the NVM Firmware?

Capture.PNG

12 REPLIES 12
ikjadoon Top Student
Top Student
3 3 0 2
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'll be watching this thread carefully. Dell & others have updated to NVM 16 on their old 2016 devices already. Why is a 2017 device launching with NVM 9? 

I hope HP gets the TB3 update out ASAP, for this new 'premium-only' laptop with i7s and dedicated graphics.

0 Kudos
HashMoney Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I contacted the manufacturer of the display adapter, Plugable.  I have a Dell Precision 5510 that the display adapter worked fine for, so I knew I could rule out a defective adapter.

Quoting the last e-mail I had with Plugable Support:

Given that we know the adapter itself is working properly with your Dell, we can presume one of two scenarios.

The first is that the current NVM version is incorrect, and the behavior you are seeing will be corrected by a newer version released by HP.

The second is that HP elected in this model to only route one DisplayPort video lane via its Thunderbolt 3 port, and our adapter depends on two DisplayPort lanes being available. Not all TB3 system manufacturers design their systems with the two DisplayPort lanes via TB3, and unfortunately it is often quite difficult to get this information from the manufacturer (if at all). If that is in fact the case here that unfortunately means it is a hardware limitation internal to the laptop that cannot be worked around.

If you have not already, I would suggest reaching out to HP directly to see if there may be a new NVM update that just has not reached the website yet, or perhaps determine if this system does indeed route only one DisplayPort lane via its Thunderbolt 3 port.

Hopefully this is just a firmware issue?  I can wait for a firmware update but if there's only one DisplayPort lane, this laptop is heading back for a return...

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
31 28 1 13
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having issue with TB3 as well. My CalDIgit doc is bluescreening all the time becase I have the old firmware.  When should we expect an update?

0 Kudos
ultnrg Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Will HP ever update the firmware for this laptop's thunderbolt controller?

The two thunderbolt docks I use act very strange on this laptop (disconnects randomly, doesn't wake up on sleep properly, etc) that work perfectly fine with our Dell thunderbolt laptop running NVM 16.

It's to the point where it's almost unusable for a dock, which really sucks as everything else on the laptop is fantastic. Unfortunately as I use this laptop as a desktop replacement, I need the dock, so if it doesn't look like it gets updated I may have to move on to something else 😞

0 Kudos
Mr_Armageddon Tutor
Tutor
13 10 0 2
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the newest Spectre 15in (8th Gen Intel CPU) and it shipps with NVM 20. Despite having a newer firmware, I still can't charge the device with a Thunderbolt 3 dock that outputs 85w.  Doesn't charge at all, as it seems HP has blocked charging via DRM of all 3rd party docks. 

Really frustrating as I was intending to use this as a desktop replacement with my existing docks (which work fine with my Lenovo and MacBook). Hopefully HP fixes this soon, or I will have to send this otherwise great laptop back to the retailer. 

0 Kudos
Mr_Armageddon Tutor
Tutor
13 10 0 2
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the newest Spectre 15in (8th Gen Intel CPU) and it shipps with NVM 20. Despite having a newer Thunderbolt firmware, I still can't charge the device with a Thunderbolt 3 dock that outputs 85w.  Doesn't charge at all, as it seems HP has blocked charging via DRM of all 3rd party docks, even though they adhere to the USB-C Power Delivery standard

Really frustrating as I was intending to use this as a desktop replacement with my existing docks (which work fine with my Lenovo and MacBook). Hopefully HP fixes this soon, or I will have to send this otherwise great laptop back to the retailer. 

0 Kudos
ultnrg Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Looks like there is an updated Thunderbolt firmware for this laptop but it's posted on the Omen support page not the Spectre support page!

Link here: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/omen-by-hp-ga1-1000-accelerator-shell/157...

Updated my bl0xx to NVM 16 (from 9) 🙂

Support page here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-ga1-1000-accelerator-shell/15776606/document/c055737...

0 Kudos
ultnrg Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mr_Armageddon wrote:

I have the newest Spectre 15in (8th Gen Intel CPU) and it shipps with NVM 20. Despite having a newer Thunderbolt firmware, I still can't charge the device with a Thunderbolt 3 dock that outputs 85w.  Doesn't charge at all, as it seems HP has blocked charging via DRM of all 3rd party docks, even though they adhere to the USB-C Power Delivery standard

That's strange. My 7th gen Spectre charges fine using my Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming box.

0 Kudos
lstrak Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi I am thinking of using same egpu. Can you please confirm if your Spectre is using 4 PCIe lanes (I.e running at 32Gbps) it is it 2 PCIE lanes (I.e running at 16Gbps).
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation