Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-df0006nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a BIOS upgrade the two ports thunderbolt 3 don't function anymore. 😢

Inserting an USB device the plug and play feature seems find the new hardware but after a while the new device, colled USB generic device, disappears, like an eject command. Could you help me?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@AGCM19 Welcome to HP Community!

Since the issue occur after the last BIOS update, I suggest you follow the below steps to resolve the issue:

1. Turn off the notebook.

2. Plug the notebook into a power source using the power adapter.

3. With the notebook off, press and hold the Windows logo key  and the B key at the same time.

NOTE:

On some notebook models, it might be necessary to press and hold the Windows logo key  and the V key.

4. While pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows logo key  and the B or V key until the HP BIOS update screen displays or you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).

The HP BIOS Update screen displays, and the BIOS update begins automatically. This might take several minutes, and you might hear additional beeping sounds.

• If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps. If the issue persists after repeating the steps, skip to the next step to Download a replacement BIOS file.

• If the Power light turns off, the notebook has turned off because the Power button was held too long. Repeat the previous steps, making sure to hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds only.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the hint!

I'll try it as soon as possible and let you know!

HP Recommended

Awesome, take your time and keep us posted,

And good luck 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi! I performed the BIOS recovery as suggested. At first It seemed to go OK because the plug'n play found the new device (USB-C connector and converter to a memory pen USB 2.0). It was tagged as "USB generic device" with a warn icon. Than I simply update the driver, the warn icon disappeared and the system read the pen. When I ejected the pen and inserted in the second port USB-C to complete the verify, the plug'n play found the new device but immediately after it disappeared with a bip (ejecting sound).

After that also the first port does not function anymore!

What can I do? 😢

HP Recommended

@AGCM19

Try installing the previous BIOS version using the external USB drive

Please follow the instructions under " Recover the BIOS using a USB recovery drive " from this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02693833

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on the Public Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I downloaded the file "sp99462.exe" for BIOS recovery as suggested. The version is F.32 rev. A (4-oct-2019).

From the window "HP BIOS Update and Recovery", may I select the option: "Update" instead of "Create recovery USB flash drive", in order to update the BIOS on this device? The device works normally except for the two Thunderbolt port….

Thank you for the support!

HP Recommended

@AGCM19 Yes, go ahead and use the update option and if that doesn't work, try the other option to check if that helps the function of the USB port, also, if it doesn't change the functionality of the USB ports, please use the steps from this link to troubleshoot the USB ports: click here for steps.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi! I tried both the options (direct update and by means of an external USB drive) but unsuccessfully.

Than I tried to follow the step by step procedure to troubleshoot the USB port. The only step I performed was that for unistall the USB root hub, but after the reboot the situation did not change.

I have to say that before all these tries, I put the USB converter into the port and than the USB 2.0 key. The device manager recognized it and for a certain amount of time it worked. When I disconnected it and inserted again in the other port and in the same port it has stopped working.

I am a little discouraged...😞

HP Recommended

@AGCM19 If it worked before and it doesn't anymore, I suggest you backup all personal data into an online storage, then perform a system reset: click here for details,

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.