Top Student
3 0 2
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thunderbolt 3 dock cable

zBook15 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Love the concept of the thunderbolt 3 dock, can't fathom how it was designed though.  On my zBook 15 G3, the power and thunderbolt ports are on the right side of the laptop.  The dock has the cable port on the left rear side, completely crossing over all the ports when you put the dock on a desk with the back facing away from  you.  Then they ship a cable that is barely long enough to put the dock directly behind the laptop and connect it.  

Where do I buy a longer cable HP, please!

6 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
37392 5653 9760
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thunderbolt 3 dock cable

I am sitting here sending this on my Zbook 15 G3 with exactly the same setup. 2 x USB 3.0s and the headphone jack are on the "front" of the dock but there is barely room to use them since, as you point out the charging cable is so short and there is so little room between the front of the dock and the rear of the laptop.

I have 2 monitors and everything else connected to the ports on the "back" side of the dock which can only be about 8-12 inches separate from the back of the laptop including the width of the dock. It is an odd arrangement I will agree but I have enough ports available and accessible it works OK for me. There are a couple ports on the right side of the laptop. 

0 Kudos
Chrisp2250 Top Student
Top Student
3 0 2
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thunderbolt 3 dock cable

As the only docking solution available and moving from a more traditional dock, its less than suitable.  HP needs to make a longer cable and the end that connects to the laptop should be at a right angle.  The cable is so stiff and thick it takes nearly 4" to make the turn.  HP makes it impossible to find this out how long the cable is with out purchasing and at that point your stuck with it.  Hardly a customer satisfaction issue they should want to propigate!

0 Kudos
David_B1 Top Student
Top Student
1 0 2
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thunderbolt 3 dock cable

I agree 100% with you on this.

I'm amazed this cable design/dock port layout even made it out of the concept stage, let alone out into the world as a final product. 

I've been using the zbook laptop and its an amazing piece of equipment in design terms, looks great and plenty of power for the slim design.

But the HP design department must have went on holiday after they finished the design on that and, I don't know never thought about actually using the thunderbolt3 dock.

Question for the HP designers:

Whats the point of a power button on the dock if it isnt facing the user? Placing the power button on the front of the dock would imply that it will be of most use to the user if it was facing the user, so thats the front of the dock in my view.

Why is the supplied cable so short and so stiff?

In addition to the poor thunderbolt cable design, why does the power cable have that useless right angle connector?

I use the dock as shown in the image below.

Cables into the back of the dock are: the thunderbolt cable, the power block cable, 2 monitors, ethernet cable & 2 USBs, go into or across the desk so the dock has to be orientated in this direction for my setup as a result.

Sure it could be re-orientated in many ways but then I'd have much more of the cables strewn across my desk top. I think its untidy looking as it is, but its the best solution I have come up with.

The port location on the dock combined with the short, stiff thunderbolt cable design has a huge effect on how it is used and how user-unfriendly it is to use. 

As a result the laptop needs to remain very close to the dock so the front USB ports don't get used much and moving the laptop is limited/creates connection issues. I find the thunderbolt cable often disconnects due to pressure on the  dock or laptop thunderbolt ports.

For the next design:

At the very least place the port on the side where the laptop is, again this would be the side that the power button is on the dock (???).

A longer more flexible cable 

Please redesign the doc HP, its a mess and lets down the laptop design.

Thunderbolt 3 design

brcase Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thunderbolt 3 dock cable

Agree at a minimum this Dock needs a 3 or 4 foot long cable so that the Dock can be possitioned somewhere useful. Hidden behind the computer seems to be the only place it can be placed and even that doesn't work very well.

0 Kudos
gmichaeld Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thunderbolt 3 dock cable

I wholeheartedly agree with the need for a longer thunderbolt cable.  I can't believe HP didn't catch this in design and beta.

HP - when are you going to make a longer (at least 36") cable?

0 Kudos
Litera Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thunderbolt 3 dock cable

This is so very badly designed that I wonder how they haven't come up with a redesigned dock in all this time...

First the dock. Due to cable length that connects the computer and the dock, the connector should be at the front where the audio jack and USB ports are.

Second the cable. The cable should have right angle connector on the notebook side because cable interferes with my mousing activity. If I accidentally bump it a bit too much, a connection innterruption occurs reconnecting my monitors and everything else on the dock itself. Then the cable should as well be longer...

Third the notebook. If the power connector was on the left side I wouldn't mind non-right angled power/data cable as it wouldn't interfere with my mousing. And connector on dock would also match that with the side where it connects...

At least on one regard HP has done something. They produce a 1m (3.3 foot) thunderbolt power connector, which is punishingly expensive for no obvious reason. Part number is Z4P20AA. But it has the same straight angle cables sticking out of it and its still stiff as hell. But at leats it give users at lieast a little bit of leeway with its length.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation