Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Thunderbolt Dock 120W G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm connecting this dock to my ZBook Studio G5 notebook and I'm extremely annoyed by the amount of fan noise this dock produces.  Even with no devices connected to the dock, within about 5 minutes of connecting to the laptop the fan starts running and IT IS EXTREMELY LOUD.  After a few minutes of running full speed, the fan will eventually stop, then within another 3-4 minutes or so it will start up again.  I plan to connect two cameras (via HDMI to USB-C capture device), audio interface, mouse, ethernet, and a Stream Deck USB device to the dock, so I can only imagine that with these devices the dock fan could be running continuously without ever stopping.  But the noise from the fan is just way beyond acceptable.  I have all components of the dock running with latest firmware and driver versions as of July 2020.

Other Thunderbolt Docks I've seen (not from HP) do not even seem to have fans, so what is it about this dock that requires such a loud fan? I notice other users have reported excessive fan noise with this dock, and also that some G2 docks seem to NOT have the problem.

Is this a known issue with the G2 dock?

Is there any known reliable remedy, either from HP or otherwise?

Has anyone disconnected the fan?  If so, any issues under load?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi, did HP have any fix for the high-pitched fan noise? It is quite annoying, 

thanks

HP Recommended

No, there has not been any remedy that I'm aware of.  For now I'm not using the dock and I'm looking at alternatives.

HP Recommended

After a week around the dock, the whistle kind of stuck in my head. Even I go to another room, it keeps whistling with that unique pitch. 

maybe I will set it aside till HP have a solution. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.