Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook - 17-s041nr (Touch) (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The. power connector on my Envy laptop keeps falling out.  Other than it being loose and coming out, there are no intermittent power problems, I don’t have to move the connector around to get a good connection and it doesn’t matter how I orient it.  The only problem is that it falls out.  So, rather than open up the laptop to replace the power port I am looking for ways to tighten up the physical connection.   I could use a piece of tape to keep it from falling out but I’d like something more elegant.   One thing I thought of was to add a tiny bead oh solder to the outside of the connector to make it a little bigger so it stays in.  However I don’t know if that could cause other issues.  Any thoughts?   Any other ideas to tighten up this connection.  
Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There just isn't any way to tighten it. If you try to add any kind of metal like a drop of solder to the connector you run a very serious risk of shorting it out and causing real damage. I just can't recommend any kind of DIY modification of the power jack. On your model the power connector is on a pigtail that plugs into the motherboard so in the scheme of things is fairly easy and feasible to replace. 

This is the part number:

Power connector cable   809295-001

The part is $7 on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272988583015?hash=item3f8f633467:g:LIMAAOSwD~xZloRV

Service Manual 

Item 6 on p. 42.

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

There just isn't any way to tighten it. If you try to add any kind of metal like a drop of solder to the connector you run a very serious risk of shorting it out and causing real damage. I just can't recommend any kind of DIY modification of the power jack. On your model the power connector is on a pigtail that plugs into the motherboard so in the scheme of things is fairly easy and feasible to replace. 

This is the part number:

Power connector cable   809295-001

The part is $7 on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272988583015?hash=item3f8f633467:g:LIMAAOSwD~xZloRV

Service Manual 

Item 6 on p. 42.

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thanks.  Sounds like a simple and cheap fix.   What is simpler and cheaper, and quicker, is an  elastic band around the left display hinge and the power cord to keep it plugged in.  Works great and doesn’t interfere with the hinge.  Eventually I may really need to fix it but it’s not worth the time and effort right now.  

HP Recommended

Good old American ingenuity

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.