Tutor
10 7 0 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

TouchPad on my ENVY Notebook Has Stopped Working Completely

ENVY Notebook - 15t-q300 CT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

One day my TouchPad stopped responding completely. I uninstalled the Synaptics SMBus TouchPad driver under Device Manager. After I restarted my computer, my TouchPad was working again with the older Microsoft TouchPad drivers that  were still there.

I lost all the gesture functionality , and the TouchPad was sensitive and lagged significantly. Eventually Windows automatically updated to the latest Synapatics 19.0.12.98 and the TouchPad was working until I closed my laptop and tried opening it again.

Has anyone had a similiar issue? My computer is still under warranty. Should the hardware be replaced?

7 REPLIES 7
Retired
Retired
1,111 1,006 54 138
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Majare,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I have read your post and understand that the touchpad is not operating correctly on your HP Envy 15t-q300 Notebook. I am happy to help you resolve this issue. First, please perform a hard reset. Once that is complete, please follow the steps in this document:

HP Notebook PCs - Using the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 10)

After you have completed the troubleshooting in that document, try testing for hardware failures.

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎

If the document did not help you resolve the issue, try restoring the BIOS and then check for windows updates. For more specific information please provide your product model using this link "Find my Product".

Thank you, I look forward to your response with the outcome.

If this post has helped you, feel free to click the thumbs up!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Majare Tutor
Tutor
10 7 0 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @FlashRam1714,

I tried the hard rest first to no avail.  I followed all the steps in HP Notebook PCs - Using the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 10), including redownloading the newest drivers, and still nothing.

I also tried your link to HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 8). I ran the component test for the mouse and passed both the pointing and drag tests. So clearly its not a hardware issue, but a problem with the compatibility between the Synaptics Pointing Device -v19.0.12.98 driver and the Touch Pad.

Again when I roll back to the Microsoft 10.0.10586.0 Touch Pad driver, the touch pad works, but with a lot less functionality (the driver date is 6/21/2006)

My machine originally had Windows 8.1 on it and I upgraded to Windows 10. I noticed Synaptics has a newer driver (v19.0.19.1) that goes with Windows 10, but I haven't had luck trying to install it. Do you think that's the issue and if so, could you explain how to replace that with my current driver?

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
Majare Tutor
Tutor
10 7 0 1
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @FlashRam1714

Just checking in again. Any comments on my follow up reply above?

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
ShaunGil Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have been having the SAME exact issue that you are having.  In fact I bought two of these machines and they both had the same exact issue with the touchpad.   I still have one of these machines but the other was returned.

My device is also an HP Envy 15t-q300, also originally installed with Windows 8.1.  I installed Windows on this machine from a clean ISO install.

Currently I have Synaptics driver 19.0.19.1 (Driver Date: 8/5/2015).  This provides full functionality to the touch pad and has been stable.  The annoying part however is that Windows Update likes to update this driver.  Once that happens the touchpad will typically work until the machines goes into it's first sleep cycle, and then upon next resume the touchpad shows as disabled and there is no way to enable it.  That is when I must perform the driver roll back and things work for a while again.

I have downloaded the latest drvier from synptics and the same issue occur as they do with the driver from Windows Update.  I would really like to see a resolution to this issue as it's really quite irritating.

0 Kudos
jeremybgg Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ugh, I thought I was the only one! This all happened after a random Windows 10 update (NOT the orig. windows 10 upgrade itself) a few months ago. Have been on support calls twice -- drivers reinstalled, everything. Touchpad will work again for a bit -- then, if you close the laptop and put it in "sleep" mode, Touchpad is gone again. Sometimes it comes back, then disappears, but it's spotty.

I was going to scrap everything, wipe the machine, and reinstall W10. 

0 Kudos
Majare Tutor
Tutor
10 7 0 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here's the solution I got from @FlashRam1714 when I posted again:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/TouchPad-on-my-ENVY-Notebook-Dr...

UNFORTUNATELY, while this fill stop your computer from upating to the newest touchpad driver, I can't right click now. 

ShaunGil Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for that, I think the key part of that is just to block the udpate from Windows Update which I have done.  If the touchpad still isn't working right for you I would advise trying version 19.0.19.1 which can be downloaded from the synaptics site. This has been stable for me.

Somewhat annoying that they won't resolve the issue with an updated driver as there is obviously an issue with it.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation