Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy TouchSmart 15-j127tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My old HP Envy TouchSmart 15-j127tx is now getting marks and smears from the touchscreen rubber lining.

How can I properly clean it out, as the keyboard panel gets really ugly and dirty?

Is there anything that can be done to replace the rubber lining? Anything at all to help fix this problem, I'm very grateful!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@PrfyVdlxSg
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community. 

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to replace rubber lining ( cosmetic damage ) HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Use the below workaround for general screen cleaning:

• Get a soft, lint-free cloth. Use it to wipe the dust off the monitor.
  • Dampen a sponge or lint-free cloth with water. Be sure to wring out all the excess moisture or water.
  • Let the monitor dry completely before closing the lid.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@PrfyVdlxSg
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community. 

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to replace rubber lining ( cosmetic damage ) HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Use the below workaround for general screen cleaning:

• Get a soft, lint-free cloth. Use it to wipe the dust off the monitor.
  • Dampen a sponge or lint-free cloth with water. Be sure to wring out all the excess moisture or water.
  • Let the monitor dry completely before closing the lid.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Echo_Lake,

I appreciate your reply, and I have done the lint-free cloth cleaning method. While at it, I noticed that some bits of rubber are falling off. In my curiosity, I tried to pluck off a finger-wide part at the top right side. That part came off. I tried the same on the other side, the rubber also came off.

So instead of cleaning, I just decided to remove the rubber lining with my hands - slowly and patiently. And no, I did not damage the touchscreen. I am writing this reply on the same laptop itself.

I accepted the solution as it helped partially. Now that there is no more rubber lining, I will need to use a spacer to protect the touchscreen. I will find some unused felt cloth used in laptops when they are shipped and use that for my laptop.

I guess when the rubber gets old, it has to be discarded. And no, I am not opting to refit/retrofit the rubber lining. I have cleaned out the rubber lining completely, and I don't want another episode of smearing years later.

Still, thank you for taking the time to reply with the suggestions. Kudos!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.