Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Yesterday night I spilled water on my touchpad. After 5 minutes the touchpad stopped working, I decided to turn off the computer, put it upside down and shake it so that the water would drip out of my laptop.

I did see and feel that there was water dripping out of the gaps in my touchpad, and I was very happy as I thought that it would work if I would power my laptop on again.

So after powering my laptop on, I got a BSOD. I got really scared, tried booting it up 2 more times, after my stupid attempts I took the battery out of my laptop and I put my laptop on it's side, so that it could dry. The next morning (a couple of hours ago) I decided to turn on the laptop again. This time I got something like this: ''Windows cannot be loaded''. I clicked restore, and then my screen went black, and nothing happened. After 30 minutes I turned on the laptop again, this time it did boot Windows. Everything worked, except for the touchpad and the buttons. All my keyboard buttons were working, USB ports were working, internet was working and my audio was working. 

I decided to turn it off for another hour, but after booting my laptop again, the touchpad was still not working, but everything else is working like a charm.

I'm not sure if this is dangerous for my laptop, because I just got it, and I'm really scared. What should I do?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Whenever spilling liquids on a notebook happens, the best thing to do is turn it off immediately, remove the battery and turn it upside down. I wouldn't have started it up for at least two to three days.  My own solution would have been disassembly and contact cleaner or isopopyl alcohol (90% or higher) and a electronics parts brush. 

It sounds as if the water damaged the touchpad. It is replaceable. Wait or perhaps make things worse by using it. Keep it somewhere dry and warm and upside down.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Will the touchpad work after I leave it upside down for 48 hours?

HP Recommended

That is a maybe.
It is actually unlikely to be the case since you used the notebook so soon after it happened.

Unfortunately that is something you can't turn back the clock on. At least now you know what to do.

If you identify your notebook with ist product number (on the service tag where the battery is) I will be able to see just how easy or difficult it is to replace it.  The warranty won't pay for customer induced damage. that is what spillage is considered to be.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.