Post new question
Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (560 Views)

Touchpad erratic. It does whatever it wants regardless of settings. It has mind of its own!

Product Name: Pavillion Notebook 64 bit
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Mouse pad jumps and moves erractically and often magnifies screen or reduces it to a small size such that neither screen can be read.  Curror jumps all over the place when typing.   Customer Support Techs have attempted to fix - I forgot trouble ticket number - by me allowing them access to my computer but in both instances the two different techs were unable to make a permanent fix.   The mouse pad is still extremely sensitive and cursor  jumps erractically around the screen.  The mouse pad is so useless that a wireless or USB mouse must be plugged in.    

In my 50 plus years of computer purchase/use of both Mac and PCs, I would not recommend this model computer to anyone considering a laptop.  Bummer.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 4 (532 Views)

Re: Touchpad erratic. It does whatever it wants regardless of settings. It has mind of its own!

Welcome to HP Support Forums. I came across your post and understand that the touchpad of your HP Pavillion laptop is not working properly. The movement is erratic and the cursor moves all over the screen. I appreciate the steps you have performed so far and have certainly done a great job. I'm not sure if a hardware diagnostic check was performed on it. Below are the steps to perform the test on touchpad:

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

3. The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

Figure: HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu. Select Component test.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

Figure: Component Tests options

List of the Component tests

Mouse - There are 2 mouse tests to determine if the mouse is functioning correctly - the Pointer Test and the Drag and Drop Test. Click Mouse, then select the test you want to run and follow the instructions. If it indicates its a hardware failure then the laptop needs to be serviced by contacting HP phone support. You could check the hardware repair options for your laptop with phone support. Feel free to let me know how it goes. Cheers!

I am an HP Employee

If you find this post helpful then you can help others find the same solution by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (518 Views)

Re: Touchpad erratic. It does whatever it wants regardless of settings. It has mind of its own!

Hi MKazi,

To bring you up to date, I have performed all the troubleshooting suggestions that I found on HP website which basically involved uninstalling the drivers and updating drivers and reinstalling drivers, etc., etc. which then led me to call HP Tech Support.  The first Tech had me do all the above without success so I then gave him permission/access to my computer and he ran test and installed/uninstalled to his hearts content but after a couple restarts, my mouse pad/touch pad was again doing all the erractic stuff such as sudden screen magnification or reducing to a very small screen or the cursor would jump from one paragraph to another when trying to type. 

A second call to Tech support and again, the 2nd Tech performed the same troubleshooting procedures and I don't know what all else as I had allowed him access to my computer.  When it was all over and done with, the results were the same.  The only remedy is to use an external mouse.

Today, after reading your suggestion, I ran the HP Diagnostics and got the list of drivers as you said I would and I ran the test on both the mouse and the touch pad and then uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled the drivers and I'm experiencing the same results as before.   Erratic cursor.  Jumps all over the page when trying to type a document.  Erractic mouse pad.  Causes sudden magnification or a decrease in window where neither the large window or the smaller one can't be read.  Just don't have any control unless I use an external mouse.

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 4 (498 Views)

Hi @snuffytu,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation