3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Touchscreen Firmware Update Failed thanks to HP's batched update installation

Envy x360 m6 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

After a hard drive failure I reinstalled Windows.  Everything was great.  Then, like a fool, I went to HP's updates and selected their automated "download and install" option.   Just to be clear - this was what it *recommended* I do vs installing them individually.  Everything was going well until ...  it batched an update with a 60 second delayed shutdown with a firmware controller update (SP76141) for my touchscreen!!  

So, predictably, it then shut itsef down about 2000 blocks into the ~5000 block firmware update for the touchscreen controller (as I watched helplessly and screamed at it)

When I restarted - no touchscreen.  If I re-run the touchscreen firmware updater, the batch file fails saying: the touchscreen is in bootloader mode.   

Question: this feels like HP's update chaining strategy bricked my touchscreen.  Has anybody been able to get a touchscreen in bootloader mode recovered?  I am not under warranty but I can tell you, I am as far from being a happy HP customer as you can get at this exact moment, so would much appreciate any help.  

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16,782 16,636 1,110 1,757
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ProbablyMad,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Enable and reinstall the touch screen driver in Device Manager

Your touch screen might not respond because it is not enabled or needs to be reinstalled. Use Device Manager to enable and reinstall the touch screen driver.

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2. Expand the Human Interface Devices list.

3. Right-click the touch screen device, and then click Enable, if possible. If the Enable option does not display, continue to the next step.

Enable HID-compliant touch screen in Device Manager

4. Tap the screen to see if it responds. If it does not, continue with these steps.

5. Right-click the touch screen device, and then click Uninstall.

Uninstall HID-compliant touch screen in Device Manager

6. Restart the computer to reinstall the touch screen driver.

7. Tap the screen to see if it responds. If it does not, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Configure the touch display

Configure the touch display to identify your screen as a touch screen.

1. In Windows, search for and open Calibrate the screen for pen and touch input.

2. On the Display tab, click Setup.

Setup button in the Tablet PC Settings window

3. Click Touch input.

Touch input

4. Follow the on-screen directions to identify your screen as a touch screen.

5. Tap the screen to see if it responds. If it does not, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Install Windows updates

Device driver updates released through Windows update might resolve touch screen issues.

Windows 10

Install the latest Windows 10 updates.

1. In Windows, search for and open Check for updates.

2. If updates are available, they begin installing automatically.

Windows Update window

3. When update installation is complete, tap the screen to see if it responds. If it does not, continue to the next step.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ProbablyMad Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Tim,

Thanks for replying!  I did previously go through the support list and unfortunately none of these steps worked.  In fact, I also tried updating the driver under HID in Device Manager and in fact, the device disappeared completely from the list.  

To reiterate: the touch capability has not just failed randomly.   I saw the computer shut down in the middle of a firmware update of the digitizer device.   If I now rerun that SP, it fails with a message saying "the device is in bootloader mode."  So what I really need is a way to reload the firmware for the digitizer, if that is possible.    

The steps in the article, while nicely laid out and I'm sure useful to a lot of people, unfortunately do not get into the level of technical issue I think I'm dealing with here.  

Thanks again for the response though.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ProbablyMad,

I recommend you perform a reset on the computer following the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ProbablyMad Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Tim.  The issue is almost certainly that the firmware microcode update for the touchscreen was interrupted by the shutdown and the touchseen device is now in an inoperable state.  Resetting the operating system will not address that (just as it wouldn't if, say, a physical component failed).  Windows can't even see the touchscreen device, that's why it disappeared from device manager.  

My questions for HP are:

1.  Why would you allow your own published update program to batch 2 firmware updates in a row, knowing that one set up a delayed computer shutdown which happened in the middle of the next update?  

2.  Given that the result of this is no touchscreen capability, what can I do to get the touchscreen /firmware/ loaded again?  

I have reviewed a lot of articles on the support site (and several posts), and they do not seem to address this scenario.  Actually, correction: some address this scenario, but do not offer any resolution.  If this is not the right forum for this level of support, are you able to direct me to the next tier?   This is a hardware (firmware) issue, not a software issue (unfortunately).  Thanks for the assistance.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ProbablyMad,

I recommend you contact support and they will assist you in this regard.

Here is how you can get in touch with tech support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation