Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the HP Spectre, Intel Cor i7 6500U CPU @ 2.5GHz 2.60 GHz 16.0 GB RAM

I am very happy with it, i travel overseas for 75% of my time.  One time my laptop just would not take a charge any more and i thought it was a lemon, now that i have traded it in for a new one, most the time the transformer gets hot and then the screen shows that it is not charging so i unplug it for an hour for it to cool and then plug back in again.

Can someone tell me what kind of adapater to use?  

I am using the Skross EVO.

Thank you much....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@eagleking92

As I understand the computer is overheating and stops charging unless it's left to cool down,

Perhaps, you could try using a cooling pad and if issue persists, try the below steps,

Symptoms of heat issues and causes of excessive heat (Though the header/title may be different, the steps will help resolve your concern).

The following list describes some of the issues caused by overheating in the notebook:

• Games stop responding during play.
  • Windows stops responding during use.
  • Fans inside the notebook become louder because they are spinning faster as the laptop gets hot, to remove the heat.
  • When starting the laptop, it sometimes stops at a black screen and does not open into Windows. Windows usually stop responding when it does open.

The following list describes some causes of excessive heat:

• Dust inside the laptop.
  • A new component, such as a hard drive, is added. The extra component causes the power supply to work harder and generate more heat. Extra heat also radiates off the new component and adds to the temperature inside the case.
  • Over time, some cooling fans might slow down and wear out, as the laptop is getting hot, depending on the usage of the laptop.
  • High ambient room temperature.

Step 1: Removing dust and lint by cleaning vents

Step 2: Ensuring proper space for ventilation

Step 3: Updating the BIOS

Step 4: Using HP CoolSense technology

Step 5: Placing the notebook in a cooler room

Step 6: Testing for hardware failure

If the hardware has failed, capture the failure ID and revert for further assistance.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@eagleking92

As I understand the computer is overheating and stops charging unless it's left to cool down,

Perhaps, you could try using a cooling pad and if issue persists, try the below steps,

Symptoms of heat issues and causes of excessive heat (Though the header/title may be different, the steps will help resolve your concern).

The following list describes some of the issues caused by overheating in the notebook:

• Games stop responding during play.
  • Windows stops responding during use.
  • Fans inside the notebook become louder because they are spinning faster as the laptop gets hot, to remove the heat.
  • When starting the laptop, it sometimes stops at a black screen and does not open into Windows. Windows usually stop responding when it does open.

The following list describes some causes of excessive heat:

• Dust inside the laptop.
  • A new component, such as a hard drive, is added. The extra component causes the power supply to work harder and generate more heat. Extra heat also radiates off the new component and adds to the temperature inside the case.
  • Over time, some cooling fans might slow down and wear out, as the laptop is getting hot, depending on the usage of the laptop.
  • High ambient room temperature.

Step 1: Removing dust and lint by cleaning vents

Step 2: Ensuring proper space for ventilation

Step 3: Updating the BIOS

Step 4: Using HP CoolSense technology

Step 5: Placing the notebook in a cooler room

Step 6: Testing for hardware failure

If the hardware has failed, capture the failure ID and revert for further assistance.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.