Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-ec0015na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the HP Pavillion Gaming - 15-ec00015na laptop and am having issues with the touchpad. I wish to turn off the tap to click setting but don't seem to have any options to do so. I have the latest HP driver installed but don't seem to have any software application to change settings. I can't do so through windows mouse settings either!

I have looked at a few posts on here and tried many suggestions to no avail! I have tried things like installing ELAN software from the Windows Store but that doesn't see my device! I have looked for settings in the registry as suggested by a few posts, but the settings don't exist in the specified locations.

On my old laptop with an alps touchpad, there was an extra tab to change the advanced settings. There doesn't seem to be an Elan equivalent here.

I love this laptop but this is the only issue that is making me doubt my purchase! I really don't want to send it back because of a driver and software issue!

Any other ideas I may have missed? 

Many Thanks in Advance,

DoozyUK

**Update to things I've tried with pictures**

I had the windows drivers installed and that had installed an Elan Settings App. When I tried the app, it seemed to see the touchpad but when trying to change settings I got no settings at all!!

Windows Update DriverWindows Update DriverElan Settings from WindowsElan Settings from WindowsNo settings available!No settings available!

So I decided to uninstall any drivers for the Elan Input Device and deleted the drivers. I then uninstalled the Elan Settings App. I rebooted the laptop and proceeded to install the HP website drivers. I got the same device listed in Picture 1 but found that no settings software was installed. I tried installing all of the Elan Settings Apps from the Windows Store (Even for other brands) but nothing worked. They simply didn't see the touchpad!

I'm seriously tearing my hair out here!!! Something MUST work! 

Mr. HP rep hit me with a solution!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @DoozyUK

Please try these steps -

1) Right click on the start or Windows icon and open the "Device Manager".

2) Expand the "Mice and other pointing devices".

3) Right click TouchPad and then click on uninstall and restart the computer. 

Also, try updating the computer - 

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

Keep me posted.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@DoozyUK

Welcome to HP support community.

1. Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and select Control Panel from the list. 

2. When Control Panel opens, go to Hardware and Sound section and select Mouse. 

3. When Mouse settings window opens, you should see ELAN or Device Settings tab. Switch to it. 

4. Locate Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached option and enable it. 

5. Click Apply and OK to save changes. 

If that doesn't work or isn't available, a registry edit should be the solution for us, I'd personally suggest a registry backup by clicking on file and export before performing the below steps, to be on a safer side: 

1. Open Registry Editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Elantech/Othersetting/DisableWhenDetectUSBMousekey in the left pane. 

2. Change the value from 0 to 1 and close Registry Editor. 

• After making those changes your touchpad will now be disabled every time you connect a mouse to your laptop. As you can see, even though this option isn’t available, you can still enable it by following these steps. We have to mention that this solution applies only if you’re using ELAN touchpad. 

Reference: <https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Where-is-the-setting-to-disable-the-E...>  

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for taking the time to answer but what I need is to turn off tap to click on the touchpad. I don't have an ELAN tab in the mouse properties and after Windows updated to 1909 the Elan Settings software I screenshot above has disappeared from my harddrive. It didn't do anything anyway, I suppose.

I am now sitting with the latest Elan Touchpad driver for my laptop from the HP drivers website (version 22.2.15.1 B) but with no settings software to match!

Surely this could be escalated to ELAN as it seems that Windows updates break the driver and plenty of people have issues with this hardware!

I have seen posts about editing registry values for tap to click but they are old and I can't find the entries in my registry. Do you have any idea of such registry values for the above installed driver perhaps?

Many Thanks in Advance,

DoozyUK

HP Recommended

Hi @DoozyUK

Please try these steps -

1) Right click on the start or Windows icon and open the "Device Manager".

2) Expand the "Mice and other pointing devices".

3) Right click TouchPad and then click on uninstall and restart the computer. 

Also, try updating the computer - 

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

Keep me posted.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well I uninstalled the driver, restarted and let windows install the Elan Input Driver. I was browsing through the settings and noticed the "Touchpad Settings". I found that I can now turn off the tap and all sorts. It is finally fixed!!! 😄

I think that I never saw this before is that most posts are focusing on the "Mouse" settings in windows.

I am going to hold off in installing the HP drivers in case it goes away.

I want to thank everyone for their help and all ideas. 

DoozyUK

HP Recommended

Hi @DoozyUK

That's great! Happy to hear that. If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I previously had the touch to tap turned off.  After a recent update, the ability to turn the feature off disappeared.  I got it back by installing the previous driver.  Removing a feature with an update isn't good

HP Recommended

Thanks very much, the touchpad is way too sensitive, even when set low, so turning off the tap to click was essential.  I really don't know how people use their computer with tap to click turned on, maybe my fingers are particularly clumsy.  It is a really big thumbs down to HP for not having this toggle built in from the start.

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.