Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY laptop - 17m-cg0013dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Update #1 to this post: I ran a USB component test and the USB port test failure ID was 0USN30-A5DA7C-XD7U3G-8D2E03

Update #2 to this post: ran Windows Power Diagnostics which did not find an issue:

USB Selective Suspend is disabled Issue not present

Update #3 to this post: ran all HP and Windows diagnostics which show the ports are "working normally".

The 2 USB 3.0 ports on the right side of my laptop have never worked since I purchased the laptop in July. I figured this issue would be addressed with updates as the laptop has had 2 Bios updates since I bought it. It is updated with all drivers, Windows updates, and the latest Bios F.11. I have read posts in HP support and followed various HP and Microsoft suggestions for this but the bottom line is the ports will connect to a USB stick (I've purchased new 3.0/3.1 USB sticks that work in other computers just fine).  A few seconds after the drive shows up in Windows Explorer it drops the connection. The USB port on the left side is what I use for mouse and USB sticks as the ones on the right side don't hold the connection. I have looked at power management, uninstalled the USB root hubs and let Windows reinstall them on reboot, and unchecked "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". In addition the USB Settings menu under power plan options are  totally absent. USB Selective Suspend Setting is visible. I read in HP community forums that others have the same issue. I wonder if MSFT has locked things down?  Thanks to anyone with a resolution for this.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@MVOC

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,  

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response but I don't understand the point in resetting to factory default when the ports never worked from Day One before any updates were ever made (i.e. Windows updates, HP updates/drivers etc). Resetting to factory defaults will not solve an issue that existed from taking the laptop out of the box. There is no corrupt and/or outdated software unless it was there from Day One out of the box.

With that said, the HP cloud recovery tool also does not work. It repeatedly says that my product ID is invalid. I am entering the info correctly. 

Thank you I look forward to your response to this new information.

HP Recommended

@MVOC

Thank you for posting back. 

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you. Just FYI I did reset the laptop which did not resolve the issue. I have a support ticket in to HP but have little time to wait on the phone as I work odd hours. Would prefer email or chat to explain the issue. With that said I've run every diagnostic possible on software, hardware, drivers (all are the latest) etc. and nothing shows up as a problem. Device manager shows that the USB ports are ok and working. 

And of course have tried unchecking the "allow the computer to run off..." in the power mgmt. setting for USB etc. etc. 

The one thing that is constant is that after putting a USB stick in the port the stick lights up, the connection boop noise is made and exactly 9-10 seconds from the time the stick is put in the port it disconnects with the disconnect sound. Every time. 

Is there a timer setting that I can look into that might be causing this? The pattern is identical every time. Thank you.

HP Recommended

@MVOC

I understand your concerns.

Please perform the system file check.

Please run the SFC scan. you can refer to this Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

@Praveen196 Thank you for this suggestion. Below is the output. I rebooted afterwards but the issue persists. Is there a Bios setting that could be changed? I also read that some HP laptops need to have the battery removed and then put back in to resolve this issue which sounds odd (haven't tried it). Every diagnostic says there's nothing wrong but those 2 ports won't hold a connection for more than 9-10 seconds. Then they don't work at all. You have to reboot the laptop to get them to trigger again.  Also have looked at McAfee and Windows firewall but no joy. I can't believe mine is the only Envy laptop that has had this issue and that there isn't a known answer! Thank you.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19041.450]
(c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.19041.329

Image Version: 10.0.19041.450

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

HP Recommended

@MVOC

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.