Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15m-bp0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Story Time:

I bought a Western Digital My Passport Ultra USB C hard drive. Plugged it in my usbc port. Success!

I disconnected the drive, plugged it back in later and....nothing. Tried it on the full sized usb port and it worked. I did some research, and found a reset the usbc port by powering off unplugging everything and holding down the power button for X number of seconds. Tried this a few times with no success.

I thought, maybe its the drivers, deleted the usb port drivers and reinstalled them rebooted, then I deleted and rebooted letting windows install them automatically, still nothing.

OK, maybe its in the bios. Upgraded the bios, reset all the settings to factory default and....nothing.

OK, lets go all out. I backed up all my data, wiped the computer's harddrive, reinstalled windows, updated windows, drivers...everything. And still no usbc port. Only the full size usb ports see anything.

Maybe there's a problem with the drive, right? Nope. drive's firmware is up to date and I was even able to get my usbc phone to pull up the harddrive.

My Envy....USBC....not me.

Any ideas on what is going on here?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Grim1,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Have you tried connecting any other device to the USB C port on the computer?

If yes and still it is not working, then it is a hardware failure and I suggest contact support to check the available service options.

Here is how you can get in touch with tech support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried a usbc flash drive and... Nothing.

Really? Hardware failure?

1) port works

2) unplug device

3) do nothing with the laptop for about 30 min

4) hardware failure

My warranty has expired, of course, that must be it.

I Am An HP User And Reseller (Retail)

(Who has lost a little more trust in HP products)

HP Recommended

@Grim1,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Update: Distracted by other things, I left a drive connected to that port. After about an hour the drive was suddenly recognized by the system and worked fine. It hasn't worked since then.

The escalation to higher support just asked for my info then referred me to their tech support which I am disinclined to pay for. As a retail worker my income doesn't allow for extra expenses.

Any random thoughts or ideas are welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.