Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop 14-bf010na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavilion Laptop 14-bf010na (UK).

I needed to connect the laptop to 2 external displays. I was advised I can do this by using the HDMI port for one, and using the USB-C on the laptop for another by using either a USB-C to HDMI adapter or cable.

While the HDMI port on the laptop is able to display to external monitor, the USB-C cannot when a USB-C to HDMI adapter or cable is used.

I get Error code 43 with differing error messages. It started off with something like "Port cannot be reset", followed by "....... Compliance ....". I am unsure of the exact message now as both messages have now disappeared following a BIOS update, but the 'Compliance ....' one appears every now and then. The external monitor is still not detected.

I have already tried the usual advice about disabling, reinstalling drivers.

I hope someone who had a similar experience with this or a similar laptop can advise.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This happens to be a subject that HP Experts have discussed with HP employees.

USB type-C port is such new technology that the capabilities that the port will have on a notebook from one manufacturer are not what it will have from another. 

There is no defacto standard for USB type-c across manufacturers in the notebook marketing segment.

See the following article at the How-to-Geek.

https://www.howtogeek.com/306237/how-to-use-mulitple-external-monitors-with-your-laptop/

You may be able to get it to work, but it will take trying many different brands of adapters and even docking stations.

Good luck!

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

This happens to be a subject that HP Experts have discussed with HP employees.

USB type-C port is such new technology that the capabilities that the port will have on a notebook from one manufacturer are not what it will have from another. 

There is no defacto standard for USB type-c across manufacturers in the notebook marketing segment.

See the following article at the How-to-Geek.

https://www.howtogeek.com/306237/how-to-use-mulitple-external-monitors-with-your-laptop/

You may be able to get it to work, but it will take trying many different brands of adapters and even docking stations.

Good luck!

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

And there are some USB-C ports which are for data only and yours appears to be one of them per the Service manual:

Manual

See p. 3:

USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port (supports data transfer)

HP Recommended

Dear Huffer,

Thanks for your valuable  input.

Eventually I returned the laptop to the retailer, as they accepted they have provided me with the wrong information.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Dear Provost,

Thanks for your input.

I did try a variety of options in vain, including HP's own USB-C to multiport adapter.

Eventually was able to return the laptop. 

Didn't know much about the variations in the USB-C port. Better for the experience 🙂

Cheers,
Suraj

HP Recommended

This isn't true.  There is a usb-c standard and manufacturers that advertise their goods as having usb-c ports should comply with it. You should not just rebadge stuff made in China and then shrug when it doesn't work. 

HP Recommended

Yes but those standards do not include a requirement that the port provide a video signal. The standard contemplates various types of USB-C ports. All the HP USB-C ports meet minimum USB-C standards. And nobody is just "rebadging stuff made in China". There are some different type Forums on other other sites that are more tolerant outlets for such sentiments. 

HP Recommended

In order to keep this solved  thread content current, I will be closing it to new comments.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.