Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-w063nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey everyone

I'm thinking about buying the new 13" Spectre x360

Do you know of any HP or even third party usb C adapters that have HDMI and ethernet ports using only 1 usb C port? If its possible to also have a usb C charging port and/or other connections on the adapter as well that would be even better.

Also does anyone knows how to tell if a certain adapter I find online is compatible with this laptop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have the new HP Spectre x360 (got it today) and can CONFIRM that it SUPPORTS pass through charging as well as HDMI, ethernet, anything else over USB-C.  I bought this hub here:

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Display-Docking-Charging-Delivery/dp/B01FKTZLBS

and it works 100% over everything.  It charges my laptop (although a message from HP pops up saying please use only HP charger, it still charges), I have 2 monitors connected through HDMI and DVI.  Ethernet connected.  4 USB 3.0 ports connected.  Logitech Z620 speakers connected.

Not sure if other devices are not implementing it correctly but this dock works.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

I was also about to buy this laptop, until I read this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3017182/hardware/usb-c-charging-universal-or-bust-we-plug-in-every-de...

HP has crippled the USB-C port on their notebooks so that you have to use their proprietary power adapter (which is a gigantic brick.)  A feature of USB-C is that it should allow for powering the device over the interface, but HP has chosen not to implement the standard fully and they don't disclose it in their sales material.  I'm just glad I read that article and some forum entries before i made the mistake of buying one.

HP Recommended

I can confirm HP disabled charging also through a hub. I purchased this cheap port adapter http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/311721309328 (very common across ebay, amazon etc) with power passthrough. Laptop charges with power adapter directly, but displays "HP recommends using an original power adapter from HP" message if connected as passthrough (and won't charge).

HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer guys.
I'm not sure if the situation is the same for all HP models as the x360 might "behave" differently (hopefully).

If the problem is only with charging, I might still consider buying it none the less but if the hubs won't work at all at the HDMI or the ethernet ports thats a bigger problem for me.

Is it possible that this issue would be resolved with a later firmware update?

HP Recommended

I have the new HP Spectre x360 (got it today) and can CONFIRM that it SUPPORTS pass through charging as well as HDMI, ethernet, anything else over USB-C.  I bought this hub here:

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Display-Docking-Charging-Delivery/dp/B01FKTZLBS

and it works 100% over everything.  It charges my laptop (although a message from HP pops up saying please use only HP charger, it still charges), I have 2 monitors connected through HDMI and DVI.  Ethernet connected.  4 USB 3.0 ports connected.  Logitech Z620 speakers connected.

Not sure if other devices are not implementing it correctly but this dock works.

HP Recommended
Wow thanks a lot!
This hub is a bit expensive to me but it still verifies that its possible to use one that is not a genuine HP product.
HP Recommended

I bought a Kensington docking station SD4600P, foolishly without reading the above articles. However, it arrived and on plugging in I got the HP message but it nevertheless worked perfectly. That was for about a week. I have just been away for 2 weeks. On my return HP disables the docking station every time. I think it charges when the PC is switched off but won't work at all otherwise. This is obviously crucial as I can't use my external monitor or various other accessories that I specifically bought the docking station for. Any ideas on how to get around this? I know that it CAN work still - every time I switch it on, I have a brief couple of seconds of it working before the HP message kicks in. So can this be disabled?

I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@CEJ1 wrote:

I bought a Kensington docking station SD4600P, foolishly without reading the above articles. However, it arrived and on plugging in I got the HP message but it nevertheless worked perfectly. That was for about a week. I have just been away for 2 weeks. On my return HP disables the docking station every time. I think it charges when the PC is switched off but won't work at all otherwise. This is obviously crucial as I can't use my external monitor or various other accessories that I specifically bought the docking station for. Any ideas on how to get around this? I know that it CAN work still - every time I switch it on, I have a brief couple of seconds of it working before the HP message kicks in. So can this be disabled?

I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

I can't help, but can confirm the same behaviour with this adapter using original HP power supply in passthrough. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/311721309328

It worked for a day, but since day 2 HP System Information alert now blocks charging with message 10s after connecting "HP recommends using an original power adapter from HP". Message continues to nag every 10s until disconnected. 

I'm assuming this is something HP can resolve with a software patch. 

HP Recommended

Update: I accessed HP support directly via online chat. They were very helpful - accessed via remote and enabled the BIOS which was somehow disabled. Everything now works. Unfortunately they did warn that it could happen again.

HP Recommended

The Plugable Dock no longer works, from what I can tell. I just bought it, and it was kinda sorta working after I rebooted, but then per the Plugable support person's instructions I updated my BIOS, and now I get the message about not being compatible over and over. When a monitor is hooked up, it keeps turning on and off the monitor while HP struggles to stop Windows 10 from using the peripheral. 

About HP, that's pretty crappy forcing people to use their own brand of peripherals, which is what the message says. HP Sales directed me to a Targus USB 3.0 hub (that doesn't deliver power). I'm in a bind, because I have to have a 4K monitor, and I have to have gigabit ethernet. So I'm stuck with two empty USB-C ports, because there ARE NO USB-C hubs for this laptop. Seems like a pretty big knock against this laptop. I'm still under warranty, so if this Targus one fails (I've tried three others so far) this laptop's heading back to the store.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.