Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15t-df000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday, I tried using a usb-c to lightning port wire to transfer data on my iPhone 11 to my laptop. My laptop would immediately recognize the phone and then "unrecognize" it, only supplying it power but not letting me access its files. This happened on all my usb-c ports. I thought it was my drivers so I updated some of my drivers through GeForce after trying and failing to install the Windows Update drivers, but then my Acer x34 Predator ultrawide monitor, which is connected to my laptop by a usb-c to display port wire, stopped displaying my laptop. My laptop is saying that it is connected to a monitor but the monitor is turned off...

I know for sure my Monitor, phone, and wires work as I tried them on other laptops and those worked. My other ports even work too: my laptop is charging, the HDMI and regular USB port work as well. I am one hundred percent sure my USB-C ports stopped working properly.

I've tried a multitude of things.

1. Updating the drivers don't work because for some reason it keeps giving me an error 0x800f0986 during the install. I've tried a bunch of methods fixing that but none of them work.
  2. Resetting my computer to the state I first got it in did not fix the solution.
  3. Holding the power button for 5 seconds, after shutting it off did not work. Neither did 30 seconds.
  4. Uninstalling the USB Root Hub drivers did not work.
  5. Setting my laptop to not turn off those devices when trying to save power did not work.
  6. This article. I've tried this already, nothing changed.
  7. I've tried this article as well. No success.
  8. There's plenty more I did try. I don't remember all of them. I'll update this list with more attempts.

At least for my monitor and its corresponding wire, this is a completely new issue. They used to be able to use these ports.

If anyone has an idea as to what to do, please respond.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@eugene_cs

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.