Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
14-cf0018ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently purchased another monitor and would like to attach it to my  hp 14-cf0018ca laptop. I bought a usb-c to HDMI dongle from Amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07JW7GT7H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but when I attach it to the laptop, absolutely nothing happens. no pop-ups or anything at all. I thought maybe the driver is not installed but I couldn't find any particular driver for it. the dongle works fine with other devices though. 

The question is, can I use usb-c port in this laptop to attach my 2nd monitor? if not what are my other options given that the hdmi port is reserved for my first monitor? I prefer dongles over docking stations... can the usb port on this laptop also support usb to hdmi connection?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@aminjan Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the USB C to HDMI converter will not work.

I have checked the specification.  The USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s) It is only for data transfer. It will not support to connect the monitor.

However, the HDMI port is there. You can use that port.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

@Praveen196 The hdmi extension dongle seems to just duplicate the same image on the monitors and not extend it. is that correct? I'm looking for something that extends my desktop not mirror it. 

HP Recommended

Check your BIOS Settingsm some options may be disabled.

It is not mentioned, that usb-c port USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s) is for data transfer only - there is only mentioning of data transfer speed.

Also, I had the same problem with my elite x2 1012 g2 after april, i need to reset bios to default settings after each windows update. You can also try

HP Recommended

@aminjan

I understand your concerns.

Please refer to the below link to extend the monitor.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04641829

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.