cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 2
5 4 0 10
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

USB-C

HP Recommended
Spectre X2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am at my wits end with the USB-C ports on my Spectre X2 detachable.

I have been trying to find a cable which will charge my laptop from a standard USB charger.

I bought the HP USB-C to USB-A cable, but this does not charge the laptop.

I have also tried the similar cable from google which is also a recommended cable.

I want a second charging alternative to the existing HP charger.

I read on a review that HP has designed the laptop USB-C interface to only charge from USB sources when the laptop is off, but I can'tget this working either.

The amount of documentation on this issue provided by HP is part of the problem - there is no description of what is and is not supported and compatible.

Has anyone been able to find a charging solution using USB-C??

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
1,071 1,006 54 138
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @jammit,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums!

I have read your post and understand that your HP Spectre is not charging using the USB-C port using various cables.

Does it charge using the HP USB-C AC Adapter?

I'm sure it's okay, but try a battery test just to make sure.

Battery information center

For more specific information, please provide the product number.

Finding Your HP Product Number

I look forward to your reply!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
4 4 0 2
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've looked into this and AFAIK, the ONLY thing that will charge the Spectre x2 is the included HP charger.

I'm sure you've seen the following article:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3017182/hardware/usb-c-charging-universal-or-bust-we-plug-in-every-de...

HP have taken what should have been an open standard (power/charging over USB-C) and have made it COMPLETELY proprietary. One of the reasons I chose the Spectre x2 (and was willing to overlook the poor battery life) is because I thought I could charge it using a portable high-current USB battery pack.

It is sad when Apple is more willing to stick to standards than HP...

Highlighted
Author
Level 2
5 4 0 10
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I fully agree.

HP has not documented what is actually supported on the Spectre X2 USB-C ports.

The only thing which charges my laptop is the supplied AC charger.

Any help from HP would be much appreciated. 

USB-C is meant to bring alot of benefits - instead it is only bringing pain 😞

Highlighted
1 1 0 2
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I totally agree, I bought the Elite X2 only to find you could only use the included charger. I want to reduce my mobility footprint and the HP bulk size chargers don't work in that space. Nee to be standards compliant and work with third party chargers. Give me the choice, don't make it for me.

Highlighted
Level 1
4 4 0 2
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Has anyone had any luck charging the Spectre x2 slowly or while it is off with a non HP charger?

According to the PC World article "HP exec Mike Nash told us, only “overnight” charging, or charging while the device is off, is supported."

I hope he wasn't lying.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
13 10 0 1
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've bought spectre x2 recently. I am also disappointed with the usb-c charger. I have one for lumia 950. It is also a usb-c charger. I pluged it into spectre but it is not charging. So disappointed. 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
5 4 0 10
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Do not buy a HP product with USB C.

HP don't seem care what their customers think about their products 😞
Highlighted
Level 2
14 14 0 6
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've just avoided making that very mistake with a brand new Spectre with Thunderbolt.  Other than HP's ridiculous limitations, it was exactly what I had been looking for.  It's crazy that they've completely mangled the USB-C standard and don't disclose it to customers.  People have to buy these products only to find out they don't work as the standard was written.

Highlighted
Author
Level 2
5 4 0 10
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Spectre is the last HP product I will buy.

For years I perservered with HP printers and their poor quality software.

I thought I would give them one last try with the X2 Spectre. It is as the previous poster said - HP have made a complete mess of the USB C standard.

Worse - the functionality and limitations is not documented anywhere.

Not even the HP support centre in India has a clue about the USB C implementation.

Good-bye HP.......

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation