Level 3
44 26 1 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

USB Hardware

HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This past Sunday, I posted the following quoted text in a Microsoft Community Forum:

I am not exactly sure what information I should mention as far as my system’s specifications, so (for now) I will just mention that I’m using Microsoft Windows 10 Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.608) (64-bit OS) on a non-touchscreen laptop.

Now to the meat and potatoes portion.

For as long as I can remember (possibly months), I’ve been having trouble with my laptop recognizing external USB drives. By that, I mean they can show up in the “Devices and drives” section of “This PC” one second and disappear the next. As a result, doing anything with them is almost impossible. I ended up setting the “Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media” taskbar icon (as well as one other) to “Off” because the “…Hardware…” icon constantly appears and disappears.

What, if anything, can I do to fix this annoying problem?”

Reinstalling the USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) driver (via Device Manager), as one person suggested, did not fix the issue. (In my response to them, I stated that the problem occurs on all (3) of my computer’s USB ports (2 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0)”).

The laptop had Windows 8.1 when I got it (a little over 3 years ago). At first, I was thinking the issue was related to Windows 10, as I do not recall having this issue when I got the laptop. However, the second person who responded suggested it might be computer-specific, by saying (on a 7-year-old computer he has used) the physical connection may have become loose over time.

I should also mention that, as far as I can tell, this problem only affects devices that I can transfer files to and from (thumb drives, my cell phone, etcetera). My (2) external mice, (1) external keyboard, and so on, do not seem to be affected.

Could the second person be correct? If yes, why am I not having problems with other devices?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,488
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@masteryoda1041

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to assist.

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 15 Notebook series laptop. I read that the laptop recognizes the USB external drives and then they disappear and cannot be accessed. I read that the problem persists only with the devices that you can transfer files to and from (thumb drives, cell phone, etc.) 

The USB mouse and keyboard seem to work fine. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

This seems like a software issue to me too. However, before we conclude the issue, let us run a hardware test on the USB ports. The following steps will help:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

• On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

• The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Sample List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a USB Port Test - This test is interactive and requires you to connect an external USB device, like a mouse, keyboard, or USB flash drive when prompted.

Before running the test, make sure there are no USB devices connected to the port you want to test.

To start the test, click USB Port, click Run once, and then connect a USB device to the port you want to test.

Repeat the steps if you need to test other USB ports on the computer.

If the test passes then it is an issue with Win10 operating system. You may try to perform a system recovery (reinstall Win8). This will wipe out all data and reinstall the original Win8 image that came with the laptop. 

I hope this helps. Feel free to keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
44 26 1 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

MKazi,

Thanks for responding!

I ran the port test on all 3 ports using just my phone, and they all passed.

Rather than perform a system recovery, could I just wait for a Windows 10 update?

:generic:

Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,488
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@masteryoda1041

You're welcome. 🙂

Glad to know that the USB ports passed the tests. 

Yes, definitely you may wait for the Win10 updates. But meanwhile, I suggest you to perform a Windows refresh (repair). This should not delete your personal data. The Windows refresh will fix any corruption in the Windows operating system and the drivers. 

Though the steps provided are for Win8, these steps will work for Win10 too. 

Hope this helps. All the best! 🙂

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation