Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion TS 14 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi. So a while ago, 2 out of 3 USB ports on my Notebook stopped working. There are 2 USB ports on the left and one on the right. The one on the right is the only one that still works. I decided to run a HP diagnostics test on the USB ports that are not working and i got the error code Q4XBL1-78J89Q-MFPV6J-8D7KO3. I ran the test on both of the ports and both came up with the same code. Can someone please tell me what this code means, and what to do about the problem?

Help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry but it is the single port on the right which is on a daughterboard.

Manual

The 2 ports on the left (which are the only USB 3.0 ports) are part of the motherboard so fixing them would mean replacing the motherboard. See the diagram on page 76 that shows the left-hand usb ports as part of the system (mother) board. The only other explanation is that the USB 3.0 driver is not installed right but if that were the case you would not get the diagnostic test error on the ports. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Need the full model number but likely the two ports gone bad are on a daughterboard that plugs into the motherboard with a cable and the good port is directly on the motherboard. The usb port module can be purchased separately and replaced fairly easily (or if under warranty HP will do it).  But I need the model number to check the Manual and be sure this is correct for your laptop. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding. The model number/ product number is G6P45EA#ABV.

HP Recommended

Sorry but it is the single port on the right which is on a daughterboard.

Manual

The 2 ports on the left (which are the only USB 3.0 ports) are part of the motherboard so fixing them would mean replacing the motherboard. See the diagram on page 76 that shows the left-hand usb ports as part of the system (mother) board. The only other explanation is that the USB 3.0 driver is not installed right but if that were the case you would not get the diagnostic test error on the ports. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks. I understand what's wrong from what you have said but theres one last thing i would like to mention. The two dead ports have power but very little. For examle I recently got one of those little cheap USB fans. If i plug it into the working port, it spins properly but if i plug it into the dead USB ports, it spins, but very slowly. Would they still be getting power if what you mentioned is the case.

Sorry if im asking too many questions.

HP Recommended

Yes it is possible for the port to provide power but not data. 

HP Recommended

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.