Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 11.6 G6 ee
Chrome OS

I've  just purchased a new HP Chromebook 11G6 EE. I've successfully set it up for my daughter however when inserting a USB stick into the USB port it comes up with the error message "Removable device detected. Sorry your external storage device could not be recognised". It has the option to format drive, but when selecting that option nothing appears to happen.  When I look at the files app the USB stick does not show up at all, neither does it show in Google drive.

I have tried: formatting the USB stick on another device and tried inserting again with no success; have tried both USB ports; have tried 3 different USB sticks - in both ports; I have reset to factory settings (powerwash) and tried all over again.

This is actually the second device that it's happened on. I bought the first one a day ago and had these exact issues. I was able to return it to the retailer for a replacement, and the second device is doing exactly the same - which makes me think it's not a hardware issue? This is our first chromebook so I'm  really unfamiliar with how they work. Any advice would be appreciated.  (Sorry if I've posted on the wrong board - was really unsure if this is a hardware, software or OS issue). Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have had a Chromebook 11 G1 since they came to the market.

I have never had any problem with USB flash drives and just tested a few to verify that the latest Chrome OS has no issues. 

Are you using some off-brand USB flash drives?

I always use major memory brand versions such as Kingston, and PNY. I even have three HP USB 2.0 HP drives that were swag from HP Expert Summits and Meetups. They all work.

Did you format them in other than the FAT32 volume format in a Linux PC or an Apple device? Chrome OS only recognizes FAT32.

How about plugging one into a PC and saving a few PDF or jpg files to it as a test. See if that works for you.

You could also go to a store that sells the Chromebook. Bring one of your problematic USB flash drives along with you.  Explain the situation you are having and ask a salesperson to try it in a Chromebook.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I have had a Chromebook 11 G1 since they came to the market.

I have never had any problem with USB flash drives and just tested a few to verify that the latest Chrome OS has no issues. 

Are you using some off-brand USB flash drives?

I always use major memory brand versions such as Kingston, and PNY. I even have three HP USB 2.0 HP drives that were swag from HP Expert Summits and Meetups. They all work.

Did you format them in other than the FAT32 volume format in a Linux PC or an Apple device? Chrome OS only recognizes FAT32.

How about plugging one into a PC and saving a few PDF or jpg files to it as a test. See if that works for you.

You could also go to a store that sells the Chromebook. Bring one of your problematic USB flash drives along with you.  Explain the situation you are having and ask a salesperson to try it in a Chromebook.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your reply. 

The USB sticks I'd been testing were all reputable brands that I'd not had a problem with on our PC that is running Windows 10 and had also tested to see if they still were working.

I ended up taking it to a IT tech guy I know and he checked it out and ended up reformatting the USB sticks to exfat(?) and they are now recognised and working on the Chromebook, so I'm very happy to have it resolved. 

HP Recommended

Hi. My HP Chromebook x360 don't recognise the hub usb. The Chromebook has only one USB port and I need a hub to use more than one tool (keyboard, mouse, external hard drive) but not all hubs are compatibles with it. Do you know if HP Spectre USB-c Travel Dock could be compatible?

Thank You. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.