Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
medicmike5969 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

USB ports not working

Pavilion dv6-6c 14 nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My USB ports stopped working as far as using a flashdrive, connecting my iphone 6, or printer.

I've been told that I should buy a new laptop, because "it's shot".

Is this a USB driver update or something that I might be able to try before I spend money that I really don't have?

1 REPLY
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12360 1164 2315
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

USB ports not working

Hi @medicmike5969,

Good Day! Thanks for stopping by the HP forums. I read your post about USB port issues. Nothing is working when connected to the USB ports. I will be delighted to assist you with this. Smiley Happy

Excellent description of the issue before posting.  Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy It is always a privilege to work with tech-savvy customers like you. Smiley Happy

You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. We greatly appreciate you for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• When did the USB ports last work correctly?
  • Have you tried multiple devices on different USB ports?
  • Did this stop working after a windows 10 update or a software update?

For starters please perform all the prescribed steps from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327635

If this does not resolve the issue, then please run component tests from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443317

Please follow the option” UEFI Component Tests” and run the USB diagnostics from it.

If it fails, then there is a hardware issue and the motherboard needs to be replaced. Please make a note of the failure code that shows up which confirms the USB ports have failed and the motherboard needs to be replaced.

If it is an old computer, service options may not be available with HP as the unit is not manufactured anymore and has gone past its shelf life. Hence you will need to contact a local Best Buy or staples technician in this regard to try and get it fixed.

Otherwise, you could contact HP shopping to order a new computer. Link for shopping: http://store.hp.com

Please follow the on-screen instructions. It usually lists a phone number to call as well.

Hope this helps.   I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you always. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation