Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360 - m3 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to access a HDD removed from another HP notebook, using a USB3 to SATA adapter. I saw reports for the device that the USB3 port could supply enough external power for a SSD or notebook size HDD (requires only 5V@0.55A), which is what I want to do. But it raises the question, I have a full size SATA drive requiring 5V@0.72A, and 12V@0.52A. Is this available from my Pavilion x360-m3 laptop's USB3 ports? I didn't recall 12V even being on a USB port. Certainly I wouldn't want to fry something just trying it out...

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No a USB port on the laptop will power a 2.5 inch laptop drive with a simple adapter and no extra power needed. But to access a full-sized 3.5 inch drive you need a more complicated device...an adapter with its own power supply. 

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-External-Universal-Function-Software/dp/B00EHDTRJ6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?...

Every computer tech needs one of these in his or her toolkit. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

No a USB port on the laptop will power a 2.5 inch laptop drive with a simple adapter and no extra power needed. But to access a full-sized 3.5 inch drive you need a more complicated device...an adapter with its own power supply. 

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-External-Universal-Function-Software/dp/B00EHDTRJ6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?...

Every computer tech needs one of these in his or her toolkit. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, I suspected that. I have an older USB2 adapter that has an external 5/12v "brick" to supply the disk's power needs, but either the interface has gone bad or the (Sabrent) interface isn't compatible with Win10. So I'm looking at USB3 adapters. I think the power brick will work with its adapter that lets me use the SATA power connector, and use a SATA data extension cable to the new adapter...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.