17 10 1 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

USB3 power availability?

Pavilion x360 - m3 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to access a HDD removed from another HP notebook, using a USB3 to SATA adapter. I saw reports for the device that the USB3 port could supply enough external power for a SSD or notebook size HDD (requires only 5V@0.55A), which is what I want to do. But it raises the question, I have a full size SATA drive requiring 5V@0.72A, and 12V@0.52A. Is this available from my Pavilion x360-m3 laptop's USB3 ports? I didn't recall 12V even being on a USB port. Certainly I wouldn't want to fry something just trying it out...

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
41,111 39,587 6,156 10,683
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

USB3 power availability?

No a USB port on the laptop will power a 2.5 inch laptop drive with a simple adapter and no extra power needed. But to access a full-sized 3.5 inch drive you need a more complicated device...an adapter with its own power supply. 

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-External-Universal-Function-Software/dp/B00EHDTRJ6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?...

Every computer tech needs one of these in his or her toolkit. 

0 Kudos
MrComputerMan Tutor
Tutor
17 10 1 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

USB3 power availability?

Thanks, I suspected that. I have an older USB2 adapter that has an external 5/12v "brick" to supply the disk's power needs, but either the interface has gone bad or the (Sabrent) interface isn't compatible with Win10. So I'm looking at USB3 adapters. I think the power brick will work with its adapter that lets me use the SATA power connector, and use a SATA data extension cable to the new adapter...

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation