Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Stream 11-y023ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a brand new (purple) Stream Laptop 11 with 32gb hard drive.  It came loaded with Win 10 v.1511.  I have installed a couple of apps and files which take up maybe 2 or 3 gb of space.  I noticed there was an update available - v.1607, but when I attempted to download I am told there is insufficient hard drive space.  I understand v.1607 is really an Win 10 upgrade thus more than an update.  It seems I will never be able to install this upgrade/update.  Does this mean I will never be able to install future updates which could be important security patches, etc.?  Is this a serious issue.  If so I am about to return the product for refund - which would be a shame because I am happy with its performance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Athena0803

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand you want to update to windows 10 v.1607 but are unable to do so, due to the low disk space,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you know, by disabling the hibernation you could gain a lot of extra space on your PC?

Follow the below steps to resolve Low Disk Space issues by disabling the hibernation option: 
Run the Disk Cleanup tool, and then at the bottom of the window that pops up, click on "Clean up system files". Check everything, hit OK, and let it run. You will free up several GB for sure. 

• Another thing to do is disable hibernate file. Run CMD as Administrator, and type the following: 

• powercfg hibernate off 

• Enjoy your extra space! 

For a related link on HP Forums: Click here (Though the header/title may be different, the steps will help resolve your concern). 

Resolving Low Disk Space Errors: Click here

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts,  

mark my post as Accepted Solution. 

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment. 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Athena0803

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand you want to update to windows 10 v.1607 but are unable to do so, due to the low disk space,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you know, by disabling the hibernation you could gain a lot of extra space on your PC?

Follow the below steps to resolve Low Disk Space issues by disabling the hibernation option: 
Run the Disk Cleanup tool, and then at the bottom of the window that pops up, click on "Clean up system files". Check everything, hit OK, and let it run. You will free up several GB for sure. 

• Another thing to do is disable hibernate file. Run CMD as Administrator, and type the following: 

• powercfg hibernate off 

• Enjoy your extra space! 

For a related link on HP Forums: Click here (Though the header/title may be different, the steps will help resolve your concern). 

Resolving Low Disk Space Errors: Click here

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts,  

mark my post as Accepted Solution. 

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment. 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher,

I have a story for you.  Considering my Stream 11 was a brand new machine it came with 90 days of free phone support.  I called them to regarding the issue with lack of space for update.  After being passed from pillar to post and being told I would have to pay for the support call (which I refused to do) I was eventually connected with a tech who accessed my laptop remotely.  He never went to any of the areas you suggested.  He basically checked how big the update was and how much space I had remaining on my hard drive and told me I wouldn't be able to update unless I increased the size of the hard drive.  He was absolutely useless and thankfully I didn't pay what they were demanding.  So--------I posted on the forum and was very happy to receive your reply.  I have magically increased free space on hard drive from about 3 gb to over 10 gb!  I am so relieved as I was about to take the cute little laptop back.  

I do however have another question.  The hibernation issue puzzled me because although hibernation was obviously activated on my machine it never appeared as an option in power settings.  It had been something I was looking for as I use it extensively on my main HP laptop.  It looks like it uses about 2gb of space.  Now that I have this mountain of freed up space I would still have enough space for hibernation after installing upgrade.  If I turn it back on in the command prompt how do I select it as a option in power settings?

Thanks SO much for your help.  

HP Recommended

Hi @Athena0803, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I understand that you have enough free space now and are looking to know the procedure to hibernate your Windows 10 computer. 

Found this Microsoft article with the procedure to enable Hibernate option on Windows 10 computer. 

Hope this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.