Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-au030wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I have a HP Pavilion 15-au030wm that does not have a backlit keyboard. I am noticing that many laptops that are similar looking similar do.

My question is, would my motherboard support a backlit keyboard?

If so, i'd like to just buy one off of ebay and *hopefully* have a plug and play install.

When I pull up the baseboard information from the command prompt, I get that it's an HP 820b version 82.27

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hi,

Manual: Page 55-58
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05228250

Yes there is ZIF connector for that in board.
See the pages to get the part you need. Search that part number in HP part store or online sellers.

It needs major disassembly. Get help from certified HP technician or good local technician.

Regards

Visruth

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
Hi,

Manual: Page 55-58
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05228250

Yes there is ZIF connector for that in board.
See the pages to get the part you need. Search that part number in HP part store or online sellers.

It needs major disassembly. Get help from certified HP technician or good local technician.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

I appreciate the detailed document you provided!

One thing I saw was a suggestion that a backlit keyboard may require a second connector. Is this true? Or is the power provided by the ZIF connector?

HP Recommended

Yes second one is there for keyboard light cable. It is present in your model series.

HP Recommended

One last question, the guide you sent me shows that the keyboard is part of the top cover. Is it possible to remove the keyboard from the top cover, or does it need to be replaced as a single unit?

HP Recommended

No it is spared together as single part by HP for your model. Really a pity that they do the same in many of these recent Pavilion models, including mine too.

HP Recommended

I appreciate your time! Looks like its time to order some parts.

HP Recommended

You're most welcome!

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.