Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN Laptop - 17-cb1097nr
Microsoft Windows 11

About a month ago, I noticed that my laptop was only reporting 8GB out of 16GB installed. I thought maybe a faulty memory stick was to blame, so I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade to two brand new Kingston Fury 16GB sticks compatible with this model laptop, for a total of 32 GB total. I also have the inside of the laptop a thorough air dusting. Upon bootup, it worked perfectly, recognizing the 32GB without issue. I was a happy camper - problem solved! But then, upon reboot, it reverted back to only recognizing ONE channel and 16GB. I uninstalled and reinstalled the sticks, thinking maybe one was loose, and again, it returned all 32GB from both channels. But then, once again, upon reboot, it reverted back to only registering one channel and 16GB.  😣

SOOoooo I took them both you, and painstakingly tried them one at a time, in only one slot, then the other, to ensure that the sticks worked correctly, and the slots worked correctly. I did the same with the original memory sticks also. The slots worked fine, the sticks worked fine, and when both were installed the first time all together again, it ALL worked fine! UNTIL I rebooted, and then back to just one channel, one stick, and 16GB out of 32. The second channel doesn't even register on HWinFO64, and even the BIOS only registers the 16GB single channel.

My very bootleg solution is to just never shut down the computer. As long as it doesn't shut down completely or reboot, it will continue to register both channels and 32GB. This is the very weird situation I am in at the moment. Since it is happening with both the original memory sticks and the new ones, I am certain the sticks are not defective (unless I have some REALLY bad luck). Any ideas, help, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! The laptop JUST turned 2 years old and I am quite disappointed. My Toshiba that this replaced still works perfectly, never a problem, and it is ELEVEN years old! Completely perplexed... 🤔

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I want to add that I found that when I perform a CMOS reset, it will temporarily resolve the problem. But once I reboot, the issue returns and I need to do another CMOS reset to get the laptop to recognize both channels of memory. Sometimes I need to do this a couple of times, because upon resetting it the first time, it won't recognize ANY of the channels and I get a blinking caps lock error. Very weird.

HP Recommended

Hi @UrbanDozer

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Thanks for contacting us. I checked the details and I see that your system supports only 16 GB DDR4-2933 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB) with only 2 slots each with 8GB memory. Here is a link that will help: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-17-cb1000-laptop-pc-series/32827283/model/37506767/documen... 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

First, I believe you are incorrect about the maximum memory capacity of my laptop. Yes. it comes installed with 16GB, but even with the 16GB, it was ONLY registering 8GB WITH TWO 8 GB FACTORY-INSTALLED CARDS. Secondly, every source I have found has indicated that it can take 64 GB, So everything you hare thus said appears to be incorrect. FURTHERMORE.... it WILL read and recognize 32GB or memory. It is ONLY UPON REBOOT that it will only recognize 16 of  the 32, To me, this appears to be a motherboard issue, or a CMOS issue, NOT a memory issue,

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back.

I have sent you a private message with further instructions to get this issue sorted in order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right of your HP community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Thanks!

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.