Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WCM43
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Updating Pavilion DV7 1174ca laptop from HDD to SSD. Question - will motherboard accept SSD ?

HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion DV7 1174ca 17inch laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

System Information

Baseboard (motherboard) Manufacturer = Compal

Baseboard Product = 3OF4

Baseboard Version  = 99.90

Processor = Intel CORE 2 DUO CPU (T5800)

3 REPLIES 3
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
90,535 90,412 11,627 24,920
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@WCM43 

Yes, Standard 2.5" SSD will do.

Note: SSD's are normally around 7mm thickness, you may need to have a spacer to keep it in place. I know Crucial MX500 products always have spacers to raise 7mm to 9.5mm. For example

https://www.crucial.com/ssd/mx500/ct1000mx500ssd1/ct13424236

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
WCM43
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes a SSD will "fit" into the laptop but I was concerned (before I buy the SSD) if a modern SSD was compatible with the motherboard of the old laptop.  I was under the impression that the motherboard  of an OLD computer might prohibit the use of a SSD.  If the m. board is compatible, it is easy enough to install the SSD I believe.

0 Kudos
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
90,535 90,412 11,627 24,920
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@WCM43 

Your machine could be 7 years old. I upgraded an HP DV7 which is 9 years old now.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation