Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ57-439WM
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to update the BIOS of my laptop and see if my 4GB memory module will then be compatible with it. The laptop is currently running Windows 10. It originally ran Windows 7. The latest BIOS version that is shown on HP's website is newer than the one that's installed, but it is for the Windows 7 operating system. Is it safe to update to the newer version even though it was made for a laptop with Windows 7?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello  mrkool078,

Your PC will work DDR3/1333-MHz type of RAM and supports 8gb MAX

4-GB (PC3, 10600, 1333-MHz) 621569-001
2-GB (PC3, 10600, 1333-MHz) 621565-001
1-GB (PC3, 10600, 1333-MHz) 639738-001

Memory 2 customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots

Supports dual-channel memory
Supports up to 8192 GB of system RAM   DDR3/1333-MHz

Supports the following configurations:
Supports the following configurations:
● 8192-MB total system memory (4096×2;
not supported on a 32-bit
operating system)
● 4096-MB total system memory (4096×1
or 2048×2; not supported with Windows®
7 Starter OS)
● 3072-MB total system memory (2048×1 +
1024×1; not supported with Windows® 7
Starter OS)
● 2048-MB total system memory (2048×1
or 1024×2)
● 1024-MB total system memory (1024×1;
not supported on a 64-bit
operating system)

http://www.memorystock.com/memory/HewlettPackardCompaqPresarioCQ57439WM.html

The latest available BIOS for your PC is sp64611.exe.  This works with WIN 7 You may try updating.

More details See here : 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/Compaq-Presario-CQ57-Notebook-PC-series/51...

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again !!

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information. I updated the BIOS and then re-installed the memory. I tried to boot the computer and it did not work (the computer screen remained black.) This is what happened the first time I installed the memory.

The configuration is  the 4096 (1 * 4GB) configuration. I am using DDR3/1333Mhz RAM with the PC3-10600 attribute.

Also, the manufacturer is Samsung.

HP Recommended

I know this is an old post, but for future reference  Samsung memory is very system selective.

Crucial supplied me with the most compatible memory upgrade options for my CQ57's. Haven't had a single issue and been running it like this with 8gb of ram for years.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/presario-cq57-315nr

HP Recommended

Also.. 

For anyone running Windows 10 that is having issues with drivers for anything on a laptop that shipped with windows 7 or 8..

Know that HP didn't supply drivers for certain Windows 7 and 8 systems that were upgraded to windows 10 when it was made available. 

Try downloading the Windows 8 drivers for whatever it is giving you trouble, unpack the exe file using something like winrar, then go to the hardware control panel, then to device manager and select the item to be checked. Tell it to update the driver and direct it to the file you had extracted the Windows 8 driver to. If it will work with that piece of hardware and is better suited then the generic drivers in the Windows 10 database, it will install them from the file you created with the extraction. With a little luck, your problems will be over.

If you're using a piece of hardware that is incompatible, no amount of driver updates will help fix the issue. It's possible the OP's laptop is just not compatible with Samsung ram, which happens a lot with Samsung ram because it's usually better suited for specific hardware applications. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.