Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp Envy X360 M6-ar004dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an Envy X360 Convertible , Model number M6-ar004dx and have been wondering if i can upgrade the 8gb ram to a 16gb one.

I took it apart and i know it has only one ram slot, but it's not clear whether it can take the 16gb or not.. i need a definite answer before i buy it.

some upgrade website  say it maxes at 16gb and some say it maxes at 8gb. i need to know for sure.

i mean the AMD FX9800P should be more than capable to handle it..

Thanks!

P.S took some pictures for the board for future reference.

https://ibb.co/34rqwbb
https://ibb.co/sFQ1DXP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just to help anyone else facing the same problem, 16gb DOES WORK on this model, had to negotiate with a seller to agree on testing first before buying and when i put it in, Voila! Reads 16 Gigs! 

Model number for reference: HP Envy X360 M6-ar004dx.

Can one of the moderators help update the spec sheet? 

Thanks 🙏

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The Service Manual says the largest capacity SO-DIMM it can take is 8 gb. 

Manual 

The Manual seems to suggest your laptop has either 1 or 2 gb "onboard" memory such that with an 8 gig module you would have up to 10 gb. 

I have not known any AMD models other than the Ryzen which would run 16 gb single SO-DIMM modules. HP will provide nothing in writing more definitive than the Service Manual so you have to rely on anecdotal evidence from trusted sources. If you actually find a user who says he or she successfully installed a 16 gb module (DDR4-2133 SO-DIMM) that is the best info you will get. Officially the answer is No and I also think it is No but I have no personal experience with that model or even systems with that processor. Good luck. 

HP Recommended

Sorry, but just one more question..

Can i upgrade with another 8GB module but higher speed? 

Thanks.

HP Recommended

You can put it in there and it would work but it would clock to the same speed as the original model. HP supplies its laptops with the fastest RAM they are capable of running so there is no way to increase the speed of the memory. 

HP Recommended

Just to help anyone else facing the same problem, 16gb DOES WORK on this model, had to negotiate with a seller to agree on testing first before buying and when i put it in, Voila! Reads 16 Gigs! 

Model number for reference: HP Envy X360 M6-ar004dx.

Can one of the moderators help update the spec sheet? 

Thanks 🙏

HP Recommended

Not gonna happen. HP will not update the specs. Once they are published that's it. And I would suggest you run memtest86 or some other extensive stability test on the memory and if it passes that, you can declare victory. 

HP Recommended

Ran Memtest for 10 loops at Maximum ram and everything with OK with no errors, didn't want to go over 10 loops cause it was kinda taking too long 😄 don't really know how many loops are standard.

But yeah, everything seems Ok for me.

and i meant to update service manual, as it's what you use for reference.

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.