Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6-2320sl 2012
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have an old laptop, hp pavillion g6-2320sd 2012.

I'd like to give it a new life and upgrade ram, add an SSD and upgrade CPU.

Ibelieve upgrading ram and SSD should be a simple task.

I am worried about changing the CPU.. will a better CPU overheat and potentially perform worse ? 

Should I change the motherboard aswell ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No.

It would not be the cause of overheating.

The AMD A10-4 600M is the same wattage (35W) as the one it would be replacing.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You have provided two product names, perhaps inadvertently.

g6-2320sd and g6-2320sl

Which one is yours?

I can find no information on the g6-2320sd.

If it is the g6-2320sl:

Processor (includes replacement thermal material):

AMD A10-4600M processor (3.2 GHz/2.3 GHz, 1600 MHz/4 MB L2 cache,DDR3, quad core, 35W)  hp p/n 683046-001

AMD A8-4500M processor (2.8 GHz/1.9 GHz, 1600 MHz/4 MB L2 cache, DDR3,quad core, 35W)     hp p/n 683048-001

AMD A6-4400M processor (3.2 GHz/2.7 GHz, 1600 MHz/1 MB L2 cache, DDR3,dual core, 35W)   683047-001

AMD A4-4300M processor (3.0 GHz/2.5 GHz, 1600 MHz/1 MB L2 cache, DDR3,dual core, 35W    685990-001

I highlighted the appropriate processors in green. The only advantage of these is that they are quad processors. There is not much clock speed advantage. For best results only consider using processors with the appropriate HP part number seen at the end of the processor specification lines above.

Upgrading to a SATA 2.5" notebook SSD  and memory modules would be pretty straightforward, although only up to 8 GB is supported by the BIOS.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot! Yes, it is indeed the sl not sd, my bad. Do you think the AMD A10-4 600M will make the laptop overheat ?

•  
HP Recommended

No.

It would not be the cause of overheating.

The AMD A10-4 600M is the same wattage (35W) as the one it would be replacing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.