Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi! Can I ask, will the T9500 (or T9300 or X9000) 45nm Penryn  CPU work on my HP 550 FS336AA laptop with GM965 chipset (current cpu T5270 65nm Merom) ?

Will it require BIOS upgrade?

As I was not able to find HP firmware, as on their official site the only firmware file which has "Initial bios files" in description, so I don't think this is an upgrade. Does anyone know where I can find it, if it will be necessary?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Unfortunately your notebook does not have BIOS support for the T9xx CPU.  

There are no available BIOS uprades for your notebook.  

If you want to upgrade the notebook, you should consider putting in a 2.5" 9.5mm  SSD instead of a CPU. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Unfortunately your notebook does not have BIOS support for the T9xx CPU.  

There are no available BIOS uprades for your notebook.  

If you want to upgrade the notebook, you should consider putting in a 2.5" 9.5mm  SSD instead of a CPU. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion! SSD is a good option.

Can I go for T7800 or X7900 (65nm merom) then?

HP Recommended

"Can I go for T7800 or X7900 (65nm merom) then?"

No.

Upgrading the storage device to an SSD will not change the notebook's lack of BIOS support for the T95xx CPU.

You will still be unable to upgrade the CPU.

HP Recommended

Sorry, I was a bit hazy. I mean, if the  T95xx CPU is not supproted by my laptop BIOS, can I then go for T7800 or X7900 CPU, since it still merom and 65 nm.

HP Recommended

@smolnij wrote:

Hi! Can I ask, will the T9500 (or T9300 or X9000) 45nm Penryn  CPU work on my HP 550 FS336AA laptop with GM965 chipset (current cpu T5270 65nm Merom) ?

Will it require BIOS upgrade?

As I was not able to find HP firmware, as on their official site the only firmware file which has "Initial bios files" in description, so I don't think this is an upgrade. Does anyone know where I can find it, if it will be necessary?

Thanks

No.  They are not supported by the BIOS and the likelihood of a BIOS update becoming available for your olkder notebok is extremely unlikely.

HP Recommended

Hi

I finally put T8300 instead of T5270 (and it is even newer than T7800 which you said won't work on my laptop). It works perfectly apart from virtualization support. I had to disable it to make system (linux) boot. But that's not a big deal since old T5270 wasn't capable of vtx as well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.