Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion 15-bc018nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, recently I purchased a Pavillion 15-bc018nl (X7H34EA#ABZ).
I want to upgrade it with a secondary hard drive using the M.2 port (empty) but I was unable to find the right type of M.2 device (Sata or Pcie).

According to the "HP Pavilion Notebook PC - Maintenance and Service Guide" these are the possible configurations:

hardisk.png

but still I have no clue of what kind of M.2 ssd should I buy...
Is the internal M.2 port SATA or PCIe?
I have heard also that in some cases the M.2 port is not enabled.

So my question is: how can I know if the M.2 port is enabled and which M.2 SSD is compatible with it?

Thanks very much for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally got an answer from HP support, my M.2 port is correctly enabled and works fine. It is both sata and pcie compatible.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Compatibility is the easy part. From the Service Manual, p. 2 we see that both SATA and PCI-e M.2 drives are supported:

Manual

Whether the M.2 will work is a guessing game. There is a very long thread here about some of the issues and I don't know if yours is one of the problem models. If you want us to see if your model is being mentioned as one of the ones with the disabled port we can, but the list does not seem to be static. 

HP Recommended

This information is so important that completly changes the value of the notebook...with a port for a future upgrade, the notebook gain so much durability through time...

HP Recommended

I finally got an answer from HP support, my M.2 port is correctly enabled and works fine. It is both sata and pcie compatible.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.