Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Upgrade Memory on HP Pavillion 15-au063nr Laptop

HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 15-au063nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Pavillion 15-au063nr with 12 Gb installed RAM (4gb in slot 1 and 8 Gb in slot2) - 2133 mhz 1.2v DDR4 SHARED SODIMMs. I wish to replace the 4GB memory with an 8GB stick. However I am finding the bus speed is 2400 mhz, and instead of SHARED I am finding SINGLE RANK. 

1. Do I need to replace both slots to make it work or can I mix a SHARED with a SINGLE RANK chip set?

2. Is it ok to use a 2400 Mhz chip set ?

2 REPLIES 2
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
90,506 90,383 11,623 24,916
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@chrisV108 

The best option for dual channels architecture is use the SAME RAM of existing 8GB. The following tool with show you what it is,    (Looks at SPD tab)

https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.95-en.exe

Otherwise use the compatible RAM, normally they are 2400MHz ticks and will run at 2133MHz.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
chrisV108
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BH

Thanks for the Solution - One question,  when I look at the SPD tab it shows Rank = Single. Could you explain what that implies?

Chris

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation