Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-bs118tu
Linux

I want to upgrade ram of this machine. Currently it has 4GB Ram.Its Samsung 4GB 2400 MHz DDR4 Unbuffered SODIMM. Can I install one more ram stick in this laptop? Moreover, how much total RAM this motherboard will support?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @rajib_hossen,

The HP Notebook - 15-bs118tu accepts a max of 16GB of DDR4-2400 RAM. (2 * 8GB)

Pages 50-51of your computer's Maintenance and Service Guide should most likely help you with the replacement procedure.

Mixing brands shouldn't have an issue. However, it's recommended you use two sticks of RAM of the same size and speed.

Hope this helps,

Eddy

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show appreciation!

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @rajib_hossen,

The HP Notebook - 15-bs118tu accepts a max of 16GB of DDR4-2400 RAM. (2 * 8GB)

Pages 50-51of your computer's Maintenance and Service Guide should most likely help you with the replacement procedure.

Mixing brands shouldn't have an issue. However, it's recommended you use two sticks of RAM of the same size and speed.

Hope this helps,

Eddy

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show appreciation!

HP Recommended

One more question please. I also want to install a SSD in this laptop. Can I do this? If yes, Could you please tell me which configuration of SSD this motherboard will support?

Thank again

HP Recommended

Hello @rajib_hossen,

No problem.

The manual does mention the possibility of a dual storage configuration for Intel Core processors. 

Page 58 mentions the installation process and the laptop will accept an M.2 SATA III SSD. The Samsung 850 EVO M.2 is a good option.

But just to make sure, I would first ensure that the physical slot exists on the board before purchasing an SSD.

Kind regards,

Eddy

HP Recommended

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your answers. If there is only one physical slot, then What if I want to replace my HDD with a SSD? it should work fine right?

HP Recommended

Yes, you should theoretically have the M.2 slot available on the motherboard, but check first.

But you can always opt for replacing your existing HDD with a SATA III SSD.

Kind regards,

Eddy

HP Recommended

Thanks again. I want to replace the existing HDD with SSD. Could you please tell me which SSD will be best compatible and performance?

1. WD Blue 3D NAND 250GB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s 2.5"/7mm Solid State Drive - WDS250G2B0A

2. Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD - CT250MX500SSD1(Z)

3. Samsung 860 EVO 250GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E250B/AM)

Thank you so much. It helped a lot. 

HP Recommended

Um...

Well, I usually prefer Samsung EVO SSDs. They have great performance at superb prices.

Hope this helps,

Eddy

HP Recommended

thank you so much. highly appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.