Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy Notebook 15t as100 CTO (w0Q65AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade from 12gb RAM  (2 slots with 8 +4) to 16gb (8+8)which I understand is the max.  I am looking at Crucial RAM by Micron. 

First question is can I simply replace the 4gb RAM with an 8gb RAM from Crucial or do I really need to replace both the 8gb and the 4gb currently installed with two new 8gb RAMs so the RAM is exactly the same in both slots?

Second question, Crucial has 2 models of 8gb RAM that they say is compatible with my notebook.  Crucial 8GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM or Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM.  Which one do I chose?

Lastly, if I can replace only the 4gb RAM, how will I know which is the 4gb RAM when taking it out?  Are they labeled?  

The specs for the RAM as installed when new are listed by HP as 8-GB (2133, 1.2-V, DDR4) and 4-GB (2133, 1.2-V, DDR4)

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I would try removing the 4 GB memory chip and installing the 8 GB Crucial memory chip.  It usually works.

As far as the speed to buy...depends on the processor your CTO model comes with ...all 6th and most 7th gen core processors run the memory at 2133 MHZ.  The 7th gens that don't run the memory at 2133 Mhz, run the memory at 2400 MHz.

Most 8th gen processors run the memory at 2400 MHz.  There are a couple that run the memory at 2666 MHz.

So unless you have one of the couple 8th gen Intel core processors in there that run the memory at 2666 MHz, buy the 2400 MHz cchip.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

I would try removing the 4 GB memory chip and installing the 8 GB Crucial memory chip.  It usually works.

As far as the speed to buy...depends on the processor your CTO model comes with ...all 6th and most 7th gen core processors run the memory at 2133 MHZ.  The 7th gens that don't run the memory at 2133 Mhz, run the memory at 2400 MHz.

Most 8th gen processors run the memory at 2400 MHz.  There are a couple that run the memory at 2666 MHz.

So unless you have one of the couple 8th gen Intel core processors in there that run the memory at 2666 MHz, buy the 2400 MHz cchip.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much.  I will buy the 2400 speed model and only replace the 4gb ram.  Do you know how I can identify which is the 8gb ram and which is the 4gb ram when I open the machine?  Is it labeled?  Thank you again.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes the capacity should be on the memory labels.

HP Recommended

Thank you again for your prompt reply.  Greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.